turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Versamax blues

Started by Racer1, May 02, 2018, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racer1

I've had my Versamax for four years.  Since I got the gun it has shot low.  I have learned to compensate and I have not missed a turkey but I also have to think about it before I shoot.  Honestly, I am tired of worrying about it and either need to get it fixed or sell it and get another gun.  My buddy just got a SX4 26" in Bottomland that I really like.  What do you guys think??  Has anyone had this problem??  BTW I am shooting a SumToy custom in the Versamax.

daddyduke

Adjustable sight, Red Dot or Scope
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Racer1 on May 02, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
I've had my Versamax for four years.  Since I got the gun it has shot low.  I have learned to compensate and I have not missed a turkey but I also have to think about it before I shoot.  Honestly, I am tired of worrying about it and either need to get it fixed or sell it and get another gun.  My buddy just got a SX4 26" in Bottomland that I really like.  What do you guys think??  Has anyone had this problem??  BTW I am shooting a SumToy custom in the Versamax.
I try to never assume anything, so have you shot the factory full choke to make sure it shoots low with it? The next step is to always use the shims to raise the comb of the stock. Have you tried that? ? If not, I'd suggest that.

If you have and it doesn't help, then I recommend that you put a Beretta Gel-Tex pad on the comb of the stock. http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-gel-tek-cheek-protector-12-inches/e00378/ You can find these several places, Brownell's, Optics Planet, etc.

When you raise the stock comb, you also raise the muzzle. I hope that helps.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Racer1

Thanks Clark. I have it shimmed as much as possible. I haven't tried the factory turkey choke, however, I notice with my modified choke I hit low when I'm shooting rabbit, quail, etc. I will try it and see. If I aim the way I want to I hit 8-10 inches low at 40 with the SumToy choke. I don't want to put a fast fire, scope, or any other optic on because this gun is used for more than turkey. Will try to shoot some this weekend and get back with you.

PALongspur

My brother in law bought a Versamax several years back that shot extremely left from the factory. He called Remington and explained the problem, they put a new barrel in the mail. No questions asked. Problem solved!

Racer1

Sent it in to Remington and got it back yesterday.  Barrel was replaced and is hitting dead on now.  Pleased with Remington's customer support. 

Gawhitaker

Glad to hear that they took care of the problem

243kid

I never thought of sending mine back l put a Burris Speed bead on mine...

SumToy

The first gen V-Max had the problem.  You should be able to fix it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Turkeytider

Quote from: daddyduke on May 02, 2018, 03:12:34 PM

Precisely. Beat me to it. Put one on, sight it in at 40 and no more worries!  Turkeys we have to aim at, everything else we point. Heck of a lot cheaper than getting a new gun, unless there`s something else you don`t like about your Versamax.

Turkeytider

OOPs , sorry, didn`t see how old this thread was. Glad the issue`s in the past!

bbcoach

THIS     My 835 shot low right so I put a red dot on it.  Now put the dot where you want the shot to go and give him a ride in the truck.

Turkeytider

Quote from: bbcoach on August 06, 2018, 04:57:00 PM
THIS     My 835 shot low right so I put a red dot on it.  Now put the dot where you want the shot to go and give him a ride in the truck.

Oh, indeed! Before I got my 870 Super Mag with a red dot, I`d never used optics for anything when it came to shooting. I`m definitely a convert! I can understand a reluctance if the gun`s to be multi-purpose but a dedicated turkey gun? I personally wouldn`t consider not having a scope or red dot.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Racer1 on August 05, 2018, 11:30:14 PM
Sent it in to Remington and got it back yesterday.  Barrel was replaced and is hitting dead on now.  Pleased with Remington's customer support.

Awesome, glad they took care of you!

Old Gobbler

I have the exact same gun with the same sumtoy choke , and it shoots dead on ,

It's off season .... see if Remington will swap out the barrel or fix it for you --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon