OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Camo dipping. Who do I get...?

Started by sixbird, May 01, 2018, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctwny1

I sent my composte stock to Tarjac  to be dipped. I was just notified by Tarjac that it's done and being sent back. Should have it by Wednesday, January 16 at end of day. Will update when I get it.

buzzardroost

My local place is telling me $325 to strip my gun down (get current paint off) and dip in greenleaf. Does that seem reasonable?? Seems like I've seen prices of $185 thrown around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 14, 2019, 03:55:53 PM
My local place is telling me $325 to strip my gun down (get current paint off) and dip in greenleaf. Does that seem reasonable?? Seems like I've seen prices of $185 thrown around.

Tarjac is $185 but the gun must be disassembled.

buzzardroost

Quote from: Snoodsniper on January 14, 2019, 04:27:36 PM
Quote from: buzzardroost on January 14, 2019, 03:55:53 PM

Tarjac is $185 but the gun must be disassembled.
Thanks. That price is disassembled, what I meant by stripping  down  is getting the factory dip off. How about shipping, how much are you all paying for shipping? Obviously I wouldn't factor that locally but would on these others.

LaLongbeard

20$ bucks or so to ship a gun in a cardboard box.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Snoodsniper

I wouldn't imagine that it would be more than 50 bucks round trip.

buzzardroost

Don't you have to have an FFL ship for you?

LaLongbeard

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 15, 2019, 03:34:01 PM
Don't you have to have an FFL ship for you?

No you do not. Purchasing a firearm yes...getting work done on a firearm including dipping no.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Snoodsniper

^^^^^what he said. If you own it you can ship it wherever you want.

sixbird

Well, I went with Camo Solutions in Nov. because of Don's process and a friends' recommendation.
Called two days ago and found that Don, unfortunately, is having health issues that are making it impossible for him to continue in business. He's going to send my gun back.
Now I'm at square one again. I've seen some nightmare jobs and don't want to end up with rusted internals or a poor finish.
Looks like the search is back on.
I know guys like TarJac here but they don't take the existing finish off. They just scuff up what's on there and apply over top. I'm looking for a complete strip down and reapplication....
Ugh...

Snoodsniper

I stripped my gun before sending it. It was an old Ballistic Specialties paint job. Some Zip Strip took it off easily. The tarjac dip is probably five years old and holding up very well.

ctwny1

Just got my composite stock dipped by Tarjac. Great job and would use them again in a heart beat.

sixbird

O.k....Here's the deal...Sent the gun to Camo Solutions and, like I said, health issues with the owner precluded that finish from happening.
Ended up going with an outfit in Johnstown, Pa. called GSU Finish Worx. They did an EXCELLENT job. New Mossy Oak Bottomland.
These guys take the entire finish off and prime according to material (plastic=plastic primer...metal=metal primer). They prime with primer that's recommended by Mossy Oak for that particular pattern (not a universal primer). And they use the specific activator for that particular film (not a universal activator). This stuff actually makes a HUGE difference in the finished product.  I was skeptical, truth be known. My skepticism was proven wrong in a huge way...
They're detail oriented from the media blasting to the final touches. Excellent, excellent work...
That and they're both really nice people. I'd recommend them without reservation...

sixbird

I'm not good at posting pics. on here but if you go to my profile (sixbird) and click on my posts, pick the one that say "My new old benelli!!!" there's a pic. of the finished product. It's worth a look...

Snoodsniper

Quote from: sixbird on March 23, 2019, 12:54:44 PM
I'm not good at posting pics. on here but if you go to my profile (sixbird) and click on my posts, pick the one that say "My new old benelli!!!" there's a pic. of the finished product. It's worth a look...
Found the other thread...Here's your pic.