turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red Dot Scope Concerns & Questions

Started by GunRunner, April 22, 2011, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I put a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on my Browning BPS several seasons ago & have killed 5 or 6 birds with it. I love the sight but I have always been concerned with the red/orange glow on the receiving end of the scope. I recently had my buddy sit down in the woods with the gun UNLOADED and I walked out in front of him at 30 and 40 yards and at certain positions it was noticeable..more so when I removed the sun shade extension. I guess with any scope device there is risk of glare as well.
My questions: Is there a red dot that does not have the orange glow? What about the open red dots like the Burris models?  What about the holographic sights? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
GunRunner

Skeeterbait

All reflex sights (light source on your side of the glass) have to have a mirrorized front on the glass to reflect the light back to you which you see as a reflected dot.  Some the mirroring is colored and some is mirrored like the bathroom mirror.  This includes the burris FFII, Mueller and the various tube style red dots like yours.  (yes a tube style red dot is a reflex sight housed inside a tube, same principal).  The Holographic sights (light source on the opposite side of the glass from you) uses a true laser and not just a red LED diode.  The laser is more powerful and does not require the mirroring.  So the Holo sights are less noticeable from in front of the gun.  Their glass looks more like a small rifle scope objective.  However they are far more expensive than the various reflex style sights.

I used a tube style reflex sight for one year then switched to open lens reflex sights and have used those for 5 years now.  During that six years I have not had a single bird that I am certain was spooked by the sight.  One single bird has spooked on me during that time and I am fairly certain it was head movement that gave me away.  With that said, I killed that bird on a dead run because the open lens reflex sight is so fast at target acquisition.

Hognutz

GunRunner..You stated that you have killed 5 or 6 birds with the scope. How many have you scared away with it? Probably, none. Why fix something that isn't broke? As long as you don't make any sudden moves, you will kill many more birds than you chase away. They don't know scope glare from sunshine, really. If you like it, keep it. The reward far outways the risk. I have Aimpoints on my rigs and would not change them for love or money..JMHO..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Reloader

I've only had a couple of hens see the reflection of the FF that I'm aware of.  Had a group of hens working too me on a gas line with a toad of a tom in tow.  I was concerned I'd get busted, so I crawled around behind a dirt pile covered in briars with nothing but my gun and my hat sticking over the top. When the hens got in clear view a couple looked right at me, walked right up to me, and walked back and forth chirping while looking right at my gun. I was in a dense thicket and very well hidden, so I'm pretty sure they saw the glare and came over to take a look. Luckily they lost interest and went on by pulling big daddy to 35yds. Other than that one instance the rest were dirt rolled before having time to notice the glare :D

beagler

I've been using an Aimpoint red dot for seven seasons now with NO problems whatsoever.
Never Misses

JustinM

Get yourself a EoTech, no glare on them.
Justin =D
Mossberg 935, IC. 675. choke with EoTech 512 Holo sight.