OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys in the hardwoods

Started by MOOSE, April 12, 2018, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 22, 2018, 12:07:27 PM
You have got some great answers. Here is my opinion. It seems to me a decoy has hurt me more than helped in the woods. I have had a bird come in and see the decoy then just hang up right there. My thinking is that once he sees the decoy he expects the hen to come to him. If you dont use a decoy he actually has to come and look for the hen that is calling. Its also just something else to carry. I will admit that I always have a decoy in the truck but unless its pouring rain or very windy,thats where it stays.
This ^^^^^
Last year I had turkey gobbling as he walked down a logging road, I put the decoy out in the road and set up in the woods about 30 yards closer to him then called. He walked to within 100 yards of the stupid decoy and stood there gobbling while waiting for the "hen" to walk to him. That gobbler walked down the road away from my set up gobbling every 20 yards. I tried to call him back but he wouldn't do more than turn around and wait for a few moments then walk some more. So my decoys are in the truck except the cheapie foam one that is in the back of my vest that works great to cushion my back against tree bark, LOL.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I always try to set up where the turkey is in range when he comes in sight. Wide open park like woods are pretty to hunt in but if the bird is at a 100 yards in wide open timber he expects to see the hen he hears.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE