turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my dads bird from 4-18-18 and a great mid morning hunt

Started by turkeyhunter91, April 24, 2018, 07:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

the morning started out with a tom gobbling prob 100 yards behind me and my dad on the roost but he flew down and went the other way. Sometime around 8 we had a hen come out and follow the side of the hill around instead of coming up on top with us. A little later I could hear 1 drumming behind us so I peaked out the back of the blind and could see him and a couple hens. They started around the hill the same way as the hen from earlier and I could tell they wasn't gonna give me a shot with my bow so I told dad to go ahead and shoot. He slipped the end of his barrel out the window and rolled his first for the season. He could have shot a couple others so far but passed trying to get me a shot.dads bird weighted 21 pound 8.5 ounces had a 9.5 in beard and 1 in spurs. he was using his rem 870 20ga youth with fed heavyweight 7s. On our way in we stopped at another farm and I heard 1 gobble when I got out of the truck so I got a crow call and he responded so we took off. We was headed down a ridge and I spotted 1 on the other side. There was a little rise between us so I crawled up there to put the decoys up and as I was putting the jake up I could see them running across the holler our way so I jerked the decoys down and back up to set it up on my side of the rise cause I was afraid they would come on in before we got set up. I got everything set up and went to calling. They kept getting closer and closer working there way in gobbling every little bit. The popped up over the rise about 25 yards but went on up the hill to a flat and went to gobbling and strutting. There was some under brush that would have made it a ruff shot so they got a pass. We let them walk off and changed set up but while working them again a hen went to responding beside us and I would say she ended up going to them but it was the best hunt we have had in quite a while.

Brs2427

That's awesome! What a great day for you and your dad! You have quiet the patience to bow hunt these birds, using the shotgun for them tests all my patience.

tomstopper

That's awesome. Congrats to you both

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase