OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tomorrow morning...

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 24, 2018, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

This morning, I was finally able to scout the back of the farm because the snow finally melted.  At fly down 3 toms flew into the field and I could hear more in the woods.  15 minutes later, a single tom came out followed by the first 3.  10 minutes after that some hens came out with one more tom.  After 30 minutes, there were 19 hens, 2 jakes and 7 toms in the field.  They worked across the hay field towards the cut corn 200 yards away.  The group of 3 is running the show and will not let the other 4 toms get close to the hens.  In total, I watched them from 5:45 to 7:15 and they traveled 200-300 yards.  My plan is to set up in the middle of the hay field on the small rise they all walked down this morning. 

It is going to be a long night of thinking and dreaming, but with a little luck, they will show up tomorrow and play the game!!!!

tomstopper

Good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

wisconsinteacher

Well, it worked out.  A tom was roosted 160 yards away.  He flew into the field and strutted and a few hens flew in.  Deeper in the woods a tom gobbled about 20-30 times and came to the field, where tom #1 pushed him away.  That is what I needed for him to break my way and come the 175 yards to my decoys.  I shot him at 38 yards with my 20ga and handloaded tss.  I'm sold on the #9 tss out of a 20ga.  No more beating my shoulder with those 3.5" 12ga guns.  After he flopped, 2 more toms came out to challenge the boss gobbler and lost.  Great morning in the woods!!!

PharmHunter

Dr Juice

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 25, 2018, 03:49:02 PM
Well, it worked out.  A tom was roosted 160 yards away.  He flew into the field and strutted and a few hens flew in.  Deeper in the woods a tom gobbled about 20-30 times and came to the field, where tom #1 pushed him away.  That is what I needed for him to break my way and come the 175 yards to my decoys.  I shot him at 38 yards with my 20ga and handloaded tss.  I'm sold on the #9 tss out of a 20ga.  No more beating my shoulder with those 3.5" 12ga guns.  After he flopped, 2 more toms came out to challenge the boss gobbler and lost.  Great morning in the woods!!!
Awesome. You got me thinking about a 20-gauge now. I am 52 yrs old and my right shoulder movement is limited lately. It might be from rucking it especially when I was in a combat zone. We wore our protective gear, rucked it, and carried our weapon(s). I know that game from experience is truly for the young and not for old farts like me.

Congrats with your kill and best regards.

zelmo1

I am repossessing my old 20 from my daughter after youth weekend, lol. I am getting old and those Fed #7 heavyweights kill as far as I can see. Great hunt, Congrats

ejhandler