Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your most curious mammal sighting when turkey hunting?

Started by Cut N Run, April 23, 2018, 09:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Well in the UP of Michigan I called a wolf in to our set. My dad had a Emu come in. Not while turkey hunting but traveling to my hunting cabin up in northern Wisconsin, brother and I had just made a stop for gas and snacks, left the little town and a couple miles out of town we seen a elephant, well WI doesn't have a elephant population so we swung back into town, elephant got loose from a traveling circus and was not found.

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 24, 2018, 10:24:32 PM
Well in the UP of Michigan I called a wolf in to are set. My dad had a Emu come in. Not while turkey hunting but traveling to my hunting cabin up in northern Wisconsin, brother and I had just made a stop for gas and snacks, left the little town and a couple miles out of town we seen a elephant, well WI doesn't have a elephant population we swung back to town, elephant got loose from a traveling circus and was not found.

MK M GOBL
There is a story around here about a guy that was the noted drunk in the area at the time and he was driving home one night and saw and elephant and right there swore on the spot he would never drink again and never did. There was a set of barns about 3 miles from there that a circus kept their animals and it had escaped from there. I have been in the barn in question a few times but well after the animals were removed.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chbarnha

The other day I pulled up to a gate on a powerline we have permission to hunt. The birds had been staying in a swamp bottom right off the lightline. So anyway I get out trying to strike a bird and hear crows raising cane across the field. I look and here comes a red fox across the field with a rabbit in his mouth. This went on for 45min. They run him in one block of woods and chased him till he came back out and went across the field with the rabbit in his mouth three times. Beats anything I seen.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Marc

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 23, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
Great topic. 
I swear this story on my life.  I was deer hunting about nine years ago with a buddy around midwest GA and we jumped a kangaroo (no pun intended).  We both saw it look right at us and hop away very quickly and dart through a barbed wire fence.  Even left some hair on the fence.  Front legs never touched the ground.  We both know what we saw and still get ridiculed to this day.  And yes we were both sober and it was around 11am.  There are farms that raise wallabies and kangaroos in GA but my research found nothing in that area.  We know what we saw that day and I can't explain it.
A couple guys I know were duck hunting in the fog, and heard some "weird" honking...  Out of the fog came a flamingo...  Apparently the bird came from an aviary, and the siting was verified by multiple other people... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Kingb_44

One year pulled into a remote parking area on public land and saw a car already there and thought oh crap, but when my headlights went across the car a young lady jumped up bearing all. Being a gentleman I turned around and went to another spot.

GobbleNut

Hunting west of Lake Okeechobee in Florida years ago, I jumped a couple of elk one afternoon.  Didn't believe what I had seen until I told my host.  He said elk had been planted on the property by the landowner decades before and that there were supposedly a few left, but rarely seen.  The next evening right before dark I saw another bull elk close to the same area. 

Another lion story:  Here in NM, I was deer hunting across an open slope with trees and low-growing oak brush.  I was walking along and out of some brush ten feet away, two young mountain lions suddenly sprang out and ran down the hill into a little ravine,...and didn't come out.  I went down into the ravine where they had gone and they had backed into a small cave and just sat there looking at me with a "what do we do now" look on their faces. 

I backed away and turned to walk away down the ravine.  I walked about ten yards and the mother lion was coming up the ravine towards me, apparently looking for the yearlings.  When she saw me, she turned and ran.  ....Exciting stuff!...glad I had a rifle at the time!

GuideGun

I was running and gunning on a powerline this morning.  My buddy and I had glassed some nice birds down the powerline that were gobbling their heads off.  The only problem was that there was a fairly large wetland separated us from the birds.  We skirted a half mile around the big wetland and saw a group of 3 beautiful longbeards up on a hill above us in the powerline probably 150 yards away all alone.  There were some wet brushy area between us and birds so we got down on all fours and did our best to crawl as close as we could to them.  My buddy has never been turkey hunting before this week so I've been calling for him.  We get set up behind a pretty big tree stump that offered good protection from being spotted.  Birds were 120 yards or so away now up and across the fair side of the powerline from us.  I whipped the Bill Baublit purple heartwood over mahogany box out and gave the birds a series of nice soft yelps.  They went off, they couldn't stop gobbling.  Slowly and surely they were strutting their way down to us gobbling their brains out.  They get at 80 yards and my buddy just says, "To the right!" I slowly swivel my head over to peak and there's just this black blob coming at us 30 yards away.  Initially we both though it was just the fan of a turkey coming....not so fast.  Big black bear was making a bee line towards us, and closing in fast.  By the time I stood up and started yelling it was 20 yards away.  It just sorta stopped and looked at us.  It finally decided to turn around then casually made its way back to the treeline on the opposite side of the powerline and disappeared out of sight.  Of course, the birds turned around and walked back where they came from.  Did not putt or run, just sorta fast walked it back from the hill they were on.  Darn shame too, one of them was an absolute monster for up here in Maine.  The bear was a dandy as well, I bet it weighed around 300lbs.  That's spring time weight too after hiberation, I bet in the fall that bear would go 400-500lbs.  I've never seen a bear that big before in the woods.  Ended up getting my buddy a double later around noon time on a couple of nice birds.  Easily the most memorable hunt of my life for all species. 

Before I scared him off

Once he figured out we weren't a little hen to chow on
Matt

J.D. Shellnut

I saw a doe run across the road with a fawn hanging out the back of her. Just its front legs neck and head sticking out. Then had to explain to a five year old what we had just saw!!!
60% of the time it works every time!