turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Relish the moment?

Started by Marc, April 25, 2018, 12:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I am an avid bird hunter, and honestly have not really deer hunted...

In most bird hunting, there is the excitement of making a good wing-shot, and then concentrating on the retrieve, and moving on to the next bird until the limit is filled...  While there is a sense of satisfaction after a good shoot or after a limit is achieved, I do not really relish in the moment.

Turkey hunting appeals to me for many of the same reasons of waterfowl in the interaction with and calling of the game.  A great deal of the outcome is dependant in my calling and decision making as to how and where I set up, staying still, and reading the birds as to how and when to call.

Turkey hunting is all about the anticipation...  Sometimes long periods of hearing a bird gobble, slowly coming towards you...  Sometimes as the bird drops down off the ridge, it sounds like he is going further away, only to hear him gobble on your ridge far closer.

Then there is that excitement as you catch the first glimpse of that red head pop up through the grass...  Still too far but coming towards you (knowing there are still a thousand things that could go wrong).  This is where time seems to shut down, and those last few yards are generally painfully slow...

As that bird is in good range, the shooting is almost anti-climatic...  I always feel that pressure of making an easy shot, that I know I would kick myself for missing.  And then pulling the trigger (and generally) seeing that bird flop...  And the relief of not messing up (and bumping the bird) and making that generally easy shot.

But for me, unlike most hunting, there is a period of time, when I finally put hands on the harvested bird, where I just simply relish in the moment...  Setting up to take pictures, while admiring the bird, and just taking stock in the entirety of the experience.  There is often a sense of relief and satisfaction of the experience that is simply...  Relished.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

I'm still as excited and look forward in being able to go hunt Turkey's as in the beginning and that was around 20 years ago.
I love hearing those first morning Gobbles,listening to the songbirds,watching the sun come up,everything that goes with it. From the anticipation, gobbles,calls,guns,etc.
I really enjoy the highs and even the lows and the figuring out how to get back to the highs again.
After the shot i admire the bird,tag it,take pictures, and then go sit back down for a bit to saver in the moment. I dont think a day goes by all year without having something to do with turkeys on the brain. Imo no other sport compares.

renegade19

I've killed about every feathered critter that you can kill in Illinois and turkeys are the tops.  Period.  Nothing is even a close 2nd.  Now, I get the most fun and excitement calling in a bird for someone else.  Specially this year as I was able to help my Brother In Law get his first.  Life memory for both of us. 

Sir-diealot

I have yet to get one but I remember my first year having one come in gobbling hard all the way in, I tell you I darn near puked! I messed that one up by turning to look over my shoulder but that day hooked me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

greencop01

The Col Tom Kelly said it best, "The first turkey that ever came to me on the ground did it a long time ago. I sat there with my hands shaking and my breath short and my heart hammering so hard I could not understand why he could not hear it. The last turkey that came to me last spring had exactly the same effect., and the day that this does not happen to me is the day I quit.                                                                                               

The last one that ever comes to me will call forth the same emotion that the second one did.                             

I will sit there waiting, gun up and heart thundering, and say to myself what I have said on every single occasion since the second one. I'm glad I lived to see it one more time."  Tenth Legion"                                     

I couldn't have said what I feel about Turkey Hunting as eloquently as the Col.                                                 

You my friend have spoken from the heart, the place we hold things dear. Don't mean to get emotional but this thing we do every Spring has a hold on us who pursue this noble bird. Have fun this spring.   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

GobbleNut

Well said, Marc,....and others. ....Well said....

SteelerFan