turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are the Gobblers seeing?

Started by Cutt, April 21, 2011, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I'm puzzled this year as 3 different scenarios had gobblers come in, and do nervous clucking like they seen something they did not like?

First was 4 jakes I passed on which I could have shot, but they seemed to get nervous afterwards? Second was a longbeard that peered through some thick stuff, waited for a better shot, but started nervous clucking, no shot. And again today get a longbeard that circled on me a bit, and the same, nervous clucking, no shot.

I'm puzzled as I'm doing nothing different as for camo, and not moving, but they do not like something. Actually my camo is better this year with a gun, that's factory camo vs. my old on that had more of a sheen to it. And in years pasts I've had gobbler practically walk on my feet at times, and never spook? But this year, I'm not sure what it is, as the only thing I changed was a new head net?

Could it just be the early season with less foilage, and my outline is more visible, as I did not have real wide trees to sit against? Puzzled, because I've leaned against fence post size trees in the past had a gobbler strut within feet, never saw me and killed him? Again head to toe camo, no shine, or movemet.

Are they seeing something they do not like, or just because a hen is not there, as I do not use dekes? Just puzzled, because after 3 days, I should of had my 2 longbeards, that I normally would have pulled off in the past, just can't figure it out? I'm thinking of changing my new face mask as it looks like some white in it, but can't believe that's the problem? Just never had this happen this much, let alone 3 times in the first 4 days?

Hootowl

Iam far from one to ask, But what type of face mask are you going to look at Because I hate the one I am wearing it hurts the bridge of my noise. it has a small wire that you can bend to help around the noise. If you now of one that's better Let me Know. I also nee to get some refills for my therma cell. Bugs will be bitting with all this wet weather I am sure.

new2turkey

is there alot of hunting pressure in the area? Maybe they are nervous because they don't see a hen.

drenalinld

The clucking is call for a response from the turkey they were hearing but don't see. I would guess it's more about what they are not seeing than your face net, but you can't be too cautious.

You will get the next one.

Cutt

Quote from: new2turkey on April 21, 2011, 11:00:24 PM
is there alot of hunting pressure in the area? Maybe they are nervous because they don't see a hen.

Yes, gets it share of pressure, seems like every year they get tougher to kill? When I first started they seem to come striaght down the barrel, now they seem to circle more and scope the area. And to be honest, you can throw old school turkey tactics here out the window. Like setting up on one next to a logging road, as they alway say they'll take the path that's open with the least resistance? Not, here, this bird came through the grapevines, but avoided the easiest route.

As compared with other areas you see on videos and such, we must have tougher birds? I see guys in these videos with big shinny glasses talking and pointing when they see a bird and like and the bird comes right in. Not here,they must be a lot more educated then most other areas?

Cutt

Quote from: drenalinld on April 21, 2011, 11:30:04 PM
The clucking is call for a response from the turkey they were hearing but don't see. I would guess it's more about what they are not seeing than your face net, but you can't be too cautious.

True, a bird will give a cluck in response to locate each other, but these were nervous clucks, all most a putt, as they did not like something and left as quick as they came? What's puzzling I do not use dekes and when a bird commits I quit calling, where in the past they just think the bird has left. Actually had scenarios, where I was out of postion, they come in looking and giving a locate cluck and continue on their route. Where I could actually reposition once by and call them back, did this several times. But these birds are nervous and do not continue looking?

This is the earliest I ever hunted with no foilage out, where I'm thinking that could be part of the problem, and my profile is just sticking out more with no foilage out?

mightyjoeyoung

Cutt, 
Do you wear glasses or use a scope or red dot sight of some kind?  They could be catching some glare of of those or even off your face...at least the part not covered by a mask.  My buddy wears glasses and if it's sunny at all, I can usually pick him out inside 40 yards or so.  Imagine how far out a turkey could see him?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Cutt

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 23, 2011, 09:25:22 AM
Cutt, 
Do you wear glasses or use a scope or red dot sight of some kind?  They could be catching some glare of of those or even off your face...at least the part not covered by a mask.  My buddy wears glasses and if it's sunny at all, I can usually pick him out inside 40 yards or so.  Imagine how far out a turkey could see him?

No glasses, and open fiber optic sights, never used or liked the idea of a scope with the possibilty of glare?

WyoHunter

Sounds like they're looking for a hen and if they don't see her they're going to walk away. Next time take a hen decoy with you and see if that might make the difference. Good luck!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Cutt

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 24, 2011, 03:29:12 PM
Sounds like they're looking for a hen and if they don't see her they're going to walk away. Next time take a hen decoy with you and see if that might make the difference. Good luck!

I hear what you're saying, although I've pretty much have got to the point, of not using dekes unless bowhunting.

Although this bird never made it to my last calling setup. As I noted I snuck downhill away from thr bird and made my last call, then snuck back up to my original postion and never made another peep. So as far as the Tom knew the hen went over the hill, he never made it that far to look down the hill. Although became nervous when he was directly to my side at 25 yards, as I was out of postion, due to his last ventriloquist gobble. If he would have looked over the hill, then yes I'd agree, but he definitely saw something before reaching the crest of the hill slightly behind me. I keep going over it, and have to say profile stuck out, as viewed from my side but was set for a straight on approach where my profile was more broken. It's the only thing I can think of, it's very bare here, just starting to green bud.

And Around here everyone uses dekes, and to me around here they can make or break a hunt, and at most times hang out of range and strut for the dekes then lose intrest. Plus the danger factor as I've had a few bad experiences with hunters and dekes. So I pretty much do not use them unless bowhunting, which isn't too often, again due to all the hunters and pressure.

Cutt

Quote from: drenalinld on April 21, 2011, 11:30:04 PM

Yes you were right :you_rock:

Although it was a 2 year old loud mouth :gobble: :gobble: :gobble: :gobble: :gobble:

I did change my face mask, but can't believe that was it?  As this bird came straight in like they are suppose to, and I had good cover at my back to break my outline. Unlike the others that were a bit more cautious, probably older birds and circled some, guessing they saw my profile? Plus the fact it is a bit greener now, with more foilage to help with hiding your profile too.

kyhareraiser

question,your pant legs are'nt riding up as you sit down are they..i had a pair of cammies i loved to wear but after a few washings and drying they turned into high-pocket pants as i callem,,in other words they are to short and as i set down my white socks were showing over top of my boots and that sent some birds the other way..might want to check that out ,or worse you might have white toilet paper stuck to yer boot sole .lol good luck,keep trying,now that it's greened and the nest are filling up with eggs the hens won't be with ole' tom as regular  good luck