turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga Magnum Blend in Rem .870 youth

Started by chestnut oak, April 16, 2018, 09:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chestnut oak

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Mag Blends in a Remington 870 youth model 21" barrel & if so, what choke tube is best for this round ?

Deast1988

I used them in a TruLock .560 #7 choke wasn't impressive but was over 100 and barely a 40yd gun. But it would hunt 100/120 range in the 10in.

chestnut oak

I've been using the Federal #7 out of it but I'm almost out of them & can't find the TSS anywhere...
I'll probably just get a Hastings .575 & go with Hevi Shot #7's

albrubacker

Mine has an old Remington Hevi choke and is around 100 in 10" at 40yrd
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

davisd9

Buddy says he used a truglo ssx and an IC .555 and got around 200. His gun shoots about everything abnormally high though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

chestnut oak

Quote from: davisd9 on April 17, 2018, 08:51:45 PM
Buddy says he used a truglo ssx and an IC .555 and got around 200. His gun shoots about everything abnormally high though.

Is that with the Max Blends ?

chestnut oak

Quote from: albrubacker on April 17, 2018, 08:08:12 PM
Mine has an old Remington Hevi choke and is around 100 in 10" at 40yrd

davisd9

Quote from: chestnut oak on April 17, 2018, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 17, 2018, 08:51:45 PM

Yes, that is what he said.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Foolery

Quote from: chestnut oak on April 17, 2018, 01:59:58 PM
I've been using the Federal #7 out of it but I'm almost out of them & can't find the TSS anywhere...
I'll probably just get a Hastings .575 & go with Hevi Shot #7's

Don't overlook the H13 6's.  I love 7's but my 20 gauge didn't care for them no matter what choke.  I was getting 130's with the 7's and mid 120's with the 6's.  When I run out of HW 7's and since TSS 9's are unobtanium I'll fall back on the 6's. 

I shoot a .570 TightWad and a .570 Colonial Arms

chestnut oak

Thanks for the info guy's. I appreciate the help

RED NECK

My long beard #6's finally arrived yesterday.I am taking my 870 youth to test with them saturday and plan on putting one mag blend shell through my gun at 40 yards with a .575 non ported carlson.I know the gun patterns with any lead shell out to 30-35 yards.I am wanting it to pattern out to 40-45 yards with the long beards and mag blends.I will let you know what I think,I do not count holes or take pictures of my patterning though.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

chestnut oak

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 18, 2018, 12:04:04 PM
My long beard #6's finally arrived yesterday.I am taking my 870 youth to test with them saturday and plan on putting one mag blend shell through my gun at 40 yards with a .575 non ported carlson.I know the gun patterns with any lead shell out to 30-35 yards.I am wanting it to pattern out to 40-45 yards with the long beards and mag blends.I will let you know what I think,I do not count holes or take pictures of my patterning though.
I'd appreciate it very much if you can let me know.  Thanks

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 18, 2018, 12:04:04 PM

I highly doubt you'll get 45 yards out of those longbeards in that choke. Just shot them yesterday through the Carlson's. 575, the original .570 Jellyhead, tightwad and .570 pure gold.  35 yards was the max I got with all 4 in my 870 youth.  if you get 40 I'd run em, but I'm going to a .555 or .560 ish choke for anything other than heavyweights.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.