turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dots and astigmasisms

Started by Fl strutter, April 16, 2018, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

I recently bought a vortex venom to go on my 870 youth 20 gauge build. Mounted with sumtoy mount. I didn't know that if you have an astigmatism that the red dot would be star burst or odd shaped. It's not horrible but its definitely not round and clear like it should be. Anyone else have this issue? Also for those with a venom does your dog look perfectly round even on the lowest setting? Thanks for anuly replies.

reynolds243

i have them in both eyes and have used a FF3 for 5 years with no issue at all. thats the first I have even heard of that to be honest.

Fl strutter

Yea I thought it sounded odd but Google it and you'll see others have same issue. A test u can do to see if it's your eyes or the sight is hold sight in hand and rotate in a circle looking at red dot. If the starburst or weird shaped dot stays the same and doesn't spin as you spin it it's your eyes. If the shape of the dot does spin it's the sight. It's not horrible but it sure isn't a perfect circle dot. It has a weird shape

reynolds243

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 16, 2018, 08:35:10 PM
Yea I thought it sounded odd but Google it and you'll see others have same issue. A test u can do to see if it's your eyes or the sight is hold sight in hand and rotate in a circle looking at red dot. If the starburst or weird shaped dot stays the same and doesn't spin as you spin it it's your eyes. If the shape of the dot does spin it's the sight. It's not horrible but it sure isn't a perfect circle dot. It has a weird shape

crazy Ive never heard of that but I guess you learn something new every day lol.  I figure its worse for some depending on how bad you eyes are.  Ive never noticed it but then again maybe I just always figured it was suppose to look that way :)

Fl strutter

Google it and watch some videos. It a depends on how bad your eyes are. My dot is odd shaped and when I turn the sight it stays the same and the shape doesn't turn with sight. If it turned with sight it would be the sight. I know I have a astigmatism as I were contacts and eye dr has always told me I had it. I love scopes with the circle and crosshairs. On my 12 gauge I have Leopold with turkey plex 1-4×20 but on my youth 20 I wanted to keep weight down so I went with vortex venom. Love the sight and weight and the shape  of dot isn't to bad so I'm gonna go with it.

howl

It's very common even for people who do not need glasses. Take a look through a Trijicon RMR and a Leupold DeltaPoint. Those two are the only ones that do not star burst for me.

Fl strutter

I'm gonna roll with it. Also just read that polarized glasses will make the dot appear clear and round even with astigmasisms. Gonna try it tomorrow. I'll let yall know the outcome.

Fl strutter

Well the polarized glasses work with astigmasisms. Whe. I put the glasses on the dot is super clear and crisp with no crazy shape or starburst. As soon as I pull them down the dot starburst and is shaped weird. Guess I'll be wearing glasses some.

Rapscallion Vermilion

That's really interesting about the polarized lenses.  I had the same issue with the red dot.  Started with the 8 MOA and when the astigmatism got worse went to the 3 MOA.  Finally settled on prescription shooting glasses with an anti-reflection coating.  The prescription corrects for the astigmatism to and I enjoy the sharper vision when trying to spot gobblers coming in.

Fl strutter

Yea I wear contacts and are for astigmatism but still get starburst. With my costa sunglasses the red dot is perfect

Sir-diealot

Very interesting read. I also have an astigmatism problem, I don't totally understand it but have always been told mine is severe though I don't honestly know why. I know I have had at least 3 surgeries on my eyes when I was young that I remember but have been told I had 5 surgeries on them. I know part of them was to fix being cross eyed on both sides but other than that don't know much about the others. I remember having to have one of my lenses on my glasses blocked off to help the other eye.

I was thinking I would like to get a scope for next year, so I guess I will stay away from red dot scopes. I want to find one of those Nikon scopes with the turkey reticle I think.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Fl strutter

I had the nikon btr scope but it was too heavy for me. I have a Leopold 1-4×20 with Turkey plex and it was much lighter but nothing compares to these reflex sights other than open sights for weight

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 17, 2018, 10:25:03 PM
I had the nikon btr scope but it was too heavy for me. I have a Leopold 1-4×20 with Turkey plex and it was much lighter but nothing compares to these reflex sights other than open sights for weight
Hopefully I can find one to lay hands on, I am a Nikon fan to be honest and have several scopes from them and would like to stay with them if I can.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TauntoHawk

I have it in my right eye and not my left so I can see a difference between the two I'm used to it for my right eye now but if it's sunny and I wear polarized sunglasses it helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mspaci

I have mild astig, never noticed anything? there are different degrees, if you have it bad it might be a problem i imagine. Your eye doc might be able to help you. Mike