turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newbie gets lucky on opening day

Started by NC Rich, April 14, 2018, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC Rich

I posted here a few times and got some good information from the wonderful folks here.

I'm 68 years old and took my 3", 12 gauge, 28" CZ Canvasback O/U out to the field. After about an hour of hearing gobbles from numerous directions 3 Toms walked out in front of me, I shot one and he went down immediately. Yahoo, my first turkey ever. Strange that the other 2 just hung around, and 4 more Toms came to join them??? I didn't want to get up until they left because my neighbor was hunting the next field over and I didn't want to spook them. About 20 minutes later they wandered off in his direction but disappeared into the woods before they got near his hunting range.

Later he told me that he heard my shot and looked over but could not see the down bird so he thought two things. He thought I missed and he wondered why I wasn't shooting one of the 6 other Toms in front of me. Of course I could not take any because I was at the one bird limit.

It was fantastic, once my adrenaline calmed down I watched the way they act and they seemed to be mourning the down bird, one in particular put his fan up and walked around and around the dying bird gobbling over and over.

Can anyone explain this behavior?

Anyway, here he is. 7/8" spurs and a 9 1/2" beard.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

SD_smith

In my experience I think it's a show of dominance. We have even had other gobblers attack's dead ones right after the shot. Congrats on the bird!!!

tomstopper

Congrats. Not sure why exactly turkeys do anything they do, but I have shot gobblers before only to have their buddy come rite back to them and put the spurs to them. Just strange animals. Once I even seen one come through a cow pasture towards my set up only to stop and try and mount a cow patty laying in the field. Maybe my calling was really crappy so he was more attracted to the manure patty than my decoys only 30 yards away....LOL

Rzrbac

That's pretty common behavior. All turkeys (gobbler and hens) have a pecking order. Flogging a downed bird is their way of trying to improve their position in the pecking order.

Congrats on the gobbler :icon_thumright:

Bowguy

Congrats! I agree it was showing dominance. Sometimes they attack a downed bird.

EZ

MK M GOBL

Congrats on the 1st!! and many more to come :)

What you were witnessing is behavior in the social strucure in turkeys (dominance) Turkeys live this everyday, your downed turkey was put in "subordinate" position and the others were asserting dominance over it. This is a key thing I talk about during seminars when either taking a dominant bird or setting up for "Double" Success. There are a lot more keys in to this, but that's another topic.

MK M GOBL

oakraidia

eddie234

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SteelerFan

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Twowithone

Congrats on your first Gobbler. Turkeys will be turks with the strange things they do.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.