OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locating Early Morning

Started by 870BkWht, February 11, 2011, 12:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

When you guys try and pin down a bird in the early morning,  do you usually just wait for them to sing, or do you use a locator call of your choice?  Also, what is your favorite owl call?

jakesdad

Most days I'll let em sound off on their own.If I do owl hoot I just use my voice.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

neal

If I feel like they could be a long ways off I'll try to get them to gobble if I have a idea their close let them do their own thing as far as a hooter...................

Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick Hoot n Stick
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

magicman

I'm lucky enough to hunt a piece of property were they talk alot on the limb. So I usually let them tell me where they are.

PANYHunter

Normally I will wait for them to sound off.  If they are being quiet that morning for some reason I will try to get them to gobble with the hooter. 

shootumindaface

If I am going in blind, I get their early and hoot.  If I can buy myself a few minutes of darkness all the better..

Harrison Hoot N Stick for me

joshua

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 11, 2011, 02:38:16 PM
If I am going in blind, I get their early and hoot.  If I can buy myself a few minutes of darkness all the better..

I agree with shootum.  The cover of darkness can be your greatest asset.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

ThicketThrasher

If I don't really know where they are at, I'll hoot, hoping that I will have time to get to him before daylight. But if I am pretty sure they are there, I just wait for them to do their thing.

chatterbox

Alot of times, they will start to gobble right at first light with or without any assistance.
I've gone into the woods and listened, and right at the first crow sounding off, they hammer.
I do agree with shootm though. If you are going in blind, an owl call is a great tool.

Ack

I like to wait for them to sound off. I'm not that concerned with hunting them right off the roost...would rather hunt them after they hit the ground and start moving.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff

turkey slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 11, 2011, 02:38:16 PM

I agree, the more time in the dark you have the better.

hobbes

I do the same as most here.  If I dont have a bird roosted Ill give them some time to gobble on their own if I know the area and expect them to be close.  If Im not sure Ill hoot as soon as I think I'm going to lose my chance to move in while its still fairly dark.

slave601

unknown territory hoot tybe. if i know they are there ill wait and let them talk first
"thinnin the flock"

BigHooks

Were I hunt I usually know were there at or close, but if I hunt a new peace of propriety I know the hoot tube is a good call. But I like the peacock call, they will sound off with it when nothing else works.

CASH

Who cooks for youuuuuuuuuuuuuu
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.