turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy setup

Started by Hootowl, April 21, 2011, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

Is it better to have a Jake with a hen or just hens? Reason I ask is I had a Couple of Jake's come into a field last week, Only to spot the decoys and shy away from coming into my range. I had thought maybe they were scared off by the other Jake, in the upright postion and the Hen in a submissive? Still learning all this stuff is the hard part.

Hoot

selinoid44

Quote from: Hootowl on April 21, 2011, 10:36:46 AM
Is it better to have a Jake with a hen or just hens? Reason I ask is I had a Couple of Jake's come into a field last week, Only to spot the decoys and shy away from coming into my range. I had thought maybe they were scared off by the other Jake, in the upright postion and the Hen in a submissive? Still learning all this stuff is the hard part.

Hoot

Dude I hope you werent hunting turkeys in Indiana last week, because our season doesnt even start until next Wednesday the 27th! That would be a NO NO

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Hootowl

mightyjoeyoung

I have seen 4+ year old gobblers shy away from a jake deek, a single hen deek, but have also had them do the exact opposite and come in like they owned the joint at the site of a jake deek!  I have a video somewhere of 4 jakes just beating my Pretty Boy like he owed em money.  If they (those jakes) shyed away from a decoy at their age that means either some ding bat has already thouroughly educated them or...there are some mature gobblers around that won't hesitate to lay the smack down on a few upstart little jakes to protect their harems!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Gobble!

I have never had a gobbler shy away from my strutting decoy. I use them all the time with 2 hens

dpittman

I use a primos jake-mobile with real jake fan and it really seems to work well. Anyone else use one. Maybe coincidense but the turkeys never seem to shy from it. I am in PA and I am a little concerned with tom dekes so maybe someone can ease my fears or should I just leave the tom strutter at home.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: dpittman on April 24, 2011, 07:55:54 PM
I use a primos jake-mobile with real jake fan and it really seems to work well. Anyone else use one. Maybe coincidense but the turkeys never seem to shy from it. I am in PA and I am a little concerned with tom dekes so maybe someone can ease my fears or should I just leave the tom strutter at home.

I live in and hunt mainly in PA anymore. (Not much time to travel). On game lands I NEVER bring my pretty boy (don't feel like getting a facefull of shot) but instead I like to travel light and get back in farther than the other guys are willing.  Gotta...be mobile so to speak. ;)
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.