turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who has spray painted their shotgun?

Started by RED NECK, April 11, 2018, 08:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I am thinking about camo'ing up one of my 20 gauges,It is currently all black in a matte finish.I have used the gun wrap on 10 others but I am interested in trying my first spray paint job.What did you guys use and how did it turn out?if you have pictures of the work,feel free to post them.

I was thinking of picking up the hunter specialties 3 pack of camo spray paint but I am open to any ideas others have...Hbk
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

GOOSESLAYER

wish I had pics of mine but it turned out awesome....what I did was sand mine down a little. then I put 2 coats of auto primer spray on it. then put 2 coats of a dark brown spray. Then took a potato sack and used a lite brown can and dusted over the potato sack. Which gives it a great camo pattern. It has held up for 5 years now with minimal chipping.

ezmorningrebel

Not a shotgun but this is a Ruger 1022 stock I rattle canned recently.  Was going for a more geometric style.  I'm pretty happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

snapper1982

There is a thread in the gun part of the forum that shows some nice ones

dirt road ninja

I'll try and find a better pic. Painted this one like 4 years ago.

rifleman

I spray painted an H&R 10 ga. and it was uglier than you could imagine.  However, I didn't care nor did the birds.  The barrel looked like a piece of pipe someone had discarded.

hotspur

Sprayed mine with light green camp paint, then came back over with pine needles  and dark green camp spray can . Looks awsome, try to post pic. Look on YouTube for snipers camouflaging weapons

RossAnderson

Here my M2 I painted the first day I bought it. Tried to go for a Bottomland look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

SteelerFan

Not spray, but after converting a youth 870 20 ga. with a black stock, I used some cheap craft paint and some natural sponges to "sponge paint" camo (got the idea here on OG). Total cost was $5. It has held up just fine - and if it ever needs touched up... it can be done very easily.

Just a thought as an alternative...

RED NECK

Great info,all the guns look great.As for the 870 20 gauge,I seen that and it is something i would like to try,which paint did you use?I would try that.It looks amazing.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

SteelerFan

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 11, 2018, 09:15:41 PM
Great info,all the guns look great.As for the 870 20 gauge,I seen that and it is something i would like to try,which paint did you use?I would try that.It looks amazing.

Craft section in Walmart... small plastic 2 oz acrylic bottles & natural sponge

J-Shaped

Prep work is key. You need to thoroughly degrease everything. And when you think it's degreased, do it again. Doesn't hurt to rough up surfaces, especially on synthetic stocks. Painting when the temperature is warm, meaning the paint itself, is also a good idea. After you've got it how you want it, a coat or two of matte clear over the top adds some extra protection. Not hard to do, and makes for a fun project.

Phire Phite

snapper1982

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 11, 2018, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 11, 2018, 09:15:41 PM

Craft section in Walmart... small plastic 2 oz acrylic bottles & natural sponge
Can also use spray paint. Spray a little in an aluminum pie pan and sponge it on the gun.