turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has anyone ever had a semi-auto break?

Started by The Southpaw, April 28, 2018, 06:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Southpaw

My friend shot at a bird this past week, and the slide on his 11-87 snapped. We are guessing that it is from the recoil, as he is shooting TSS with a fairly hot powder. It is a load that has been proven by other people, so we it is definitely a safe load. Does anyone have any knowledge that they could lend our way about this issue? The gun is an 11-87 youth model.

Marc

Years back, I had a couple of 11-87's...  Worst guns I ever owned.

I had two completely "break" on the same day, both after coming back from the gun smith (due to multiple malfunctions from both guns).  These were late 90's guns, and I understand that they have improved, but mine were junk.

On one gun, a piece of the bolt broke, on the second, part of the metal slide broke.  I was on a short vacation, and took a spare due to fear of failure...  It is the only time I have ever had both my main gun and my spare break on the same day.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Fl strutter

Just out of curiosity was it a 20 and was the barrel seal activator still in the gun? In the manual it states only it's supposed to be removed in the supermag when shooting heavy load 3inch pr 3.5 inch loads but says nothing about the 20. A call to remington and they say that absolutely the barrel seal activator is to be removed in 1187 20s when shooting heavy 2.75 or 3 inch loads or it could case damage to gun. The 3 inch 12 1187 doesn't have 1.

bruce.smith0817

I have 20ga where is the barrel seal actavader I didn't read anything in the maual about it an what does it look like

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The Southpaw

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 28, 2018, 07:43:11 PM
Just out of curiosity was it a 20 and was the barrel seal activator still in the gun? In the manual it states only it's supposed to be removed in the supermag when shooting heavy load 3inch pr 3.5 inch loads but says nothing about the 20. A call to remington and they say that absolutely the barrel seal activator is to be removed in 1187 20s when shooting heavy 2.75 or 3 inch loads or it could case damage to gun. The 3 inch 12 1187 doesn't have 1.

The seal activator was not removed. My friend heard the same thing from remington when he called them.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 28, 2018, 07:43:11 PM
Good info. to know for us that dont read our manuals cover to cover. Thanks...

deepwoods

Is this the part that broke on your friends 20 gauge?

I bought a 20 ga 11-87 this winter to set up for turkeys. It is chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. This investment casting on the action bar assembly has broken in the same place on 3 different bars when shooting 3" magnum loads. I have yet to get 15 rounds through the gun without the part breaking and locking up the action. Before the part breaks the gun is kicking the spent magnum hulls out about 25 feet. It is only kicking spent field round hulls out about 10 feet.

The first time Remington sent me a replacement part, the second time they had me send it to a Remington repair shop, the third time they had me send it to the factory. Needless to say, the gun is not going to see turkey season this year...  >:(

The owners manual includes information about the "barrel seal activator" being used on the 11-87 12 gauge super magnum and the 11-87 20 gauge. It slides onto the magazine tube between the gas piston in the rear and the O-ring in the front. The manual is explicit in recommending removal of the activator when shooting 3" or 3 1/2" shells in the 12 ga super magnum. It says nothing about removing the activator when shooting magnum loads in the 20 ga. For the record, the customer service people did not ask about whether or not the activator was in use when the gun malfunctioned.

I'm already an unhappy customer, but if the issue is something this silly, I'll be really pi$$ed........

Fl strutter

The manual is not correct and doesn't tell you to remove it. I called remington and asked if it was to be removed for heavy loads and they said absolutely that the manual was wrong and didn't say to remove it that they had been trying to get them to fix manual.

wvmntnhick

I've always removed mine. And honestly, it will likely cycle everything you want with the activator removed. Mine has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepwoods

That's what I like about forums like this. If you have some problem, likely a whole bunch of people have had the same issue and someone has found a solution!  :thanks:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Things break and wear out that's why they make replacement parts. I have seen broken bolt carrier links in 11-87's. Had a bolt carrier assembly break on a M2 during a Phesant hunt. It happens

wade

Wasn't the gun's fought but I had the bolt handle snap off of my 935. Seems that it hit the sapling I was using to steady my gun while the tom took his time emearging from behind a big rock. Dem 3.5" longberad's make the bolt come back right now. Had to use my Leatherman to unload the Mossberg.
Do it outdoors