OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee hunters quick question

Started by BB30, April 26, 2018, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Hey guys, was just going to see what those Tennessee birds are doing right now? I leave tomorrow for a few days in TN. Are yalls birds on time, behind schedule, ahead of schedule? Are most of the hens nesting yet?

Thanks looking forward to visiting your state, will be my first time hunting TN.

shatcher

It's been the toughest season I can remember.  Spring has been late and gobblers relatively quiet.  The hens are starting to be alone.  I look for the rest of the season to be good.

Goodtimekiller

Season has been pretty good here but a lot of tn folk are having a bad year, complaining about a greatly decreased population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKFOOTER

They are way behind schedule here in West Tennessee.  Been a very disappointing season.

roverboy

I did kill one on the 5th but he didn't gobble at all. I've been working a lot too. What little I've hunted I've not heard very many. I don't know if that's just my area or what.
Listen for the gobble

cbhunter15

The other guys pretty well sum it up. Skfooter is definitely right about west tn being behind. I think it will pick up a lot starting this weekend and get better and better all the way up to closing of season. I have to agree with the folks that says, overall, our numbers are declining every year.

Happy

I suspect that the numbers will continue to drop until it looses it's status as a premier turkey state and people lose interest. The same thing is happening to Kansas now. All thanks to the Internet and loose fingers.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Big Jeremy

Are numbers down? Yes. Predators and egg-eaters need to be killed with fury.
Is it a late spring? Yes, and it seems to have affected my hunting areas in middle Tennessee.
Are hens nesting? Over the last couple of days I have started to notice some hens on nests.
Are they gobbling much? It's been hit or miss for me, but even when they are talking a little, it's not as good as in years past.

Overall it has been a tough year. I've been able to punch one tag on a public land gobbler, and hope that it heats up over the remaining couple of weeks. Good luck!

Goodtimekiller

Gobbling good this morning where i was, and saw more strutting everywhere than i've seen all season. Unfortunately i had to be at work at 8 and was hunting 45 minutes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

They are behind schedule, but i agree things are picking up... birds are starting to show more and hens are starting to nest , etc... hear several gobbling this morning ....it should just get better as season finishes up...

catman529

Behind schedule if I had to guess, but more likely they're on schedule but not acting right because the weather is behind schedule. Just in the past few days I've been able to find more birds that will answer and work to a call. More days than not have been way too quiet this season. roost gobbling has been decent but after that it's been dead for the first few weeks of season. Also finally getting some green on the trees. I called one in today that skirted me but I did get a look at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fatbeard

Well in east TN they have been on fire. I have taken 4 already and guys around here are having a fantastic season so far. Hard to see that west and some mid ten areas are behind. I witnessed breeding in very early march and have bumped several birds off the nest. They are pretty spot on here
East TN Beard Buster

drake799

In NwTN where I'm at.  They're not behind just not nearly the number of gobblers as normal. It's
As bad as I can ever remember.  Hope we have a good batch this yr