turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First custom call

Started by Caspar, April 05, 2018, 10:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

I think Lyle still includes a dymondwood with the ceramic and David usually does with his pots too. I know when you buy from David he usually includes two strikers. Not sure what you will get if you buy from Macks. It's probably the same price, but this time of year ordering direct from the maker will take longer BUT maybe worth the wait for you to call them and talk to them.  They are both very nice guys. As far as other strikers my favorites are hickory, purple heart, and yellow heart.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Caspar

sx4, i completely understand what your saying and once i learn more about custom calls ill definitely talk to someone about what i want. right now im new and not quite sure what im looking for and what sounds good together. the only thing i know for sure is that i want something that plays better than the cheap primos and hs strut calls i have now. i am also hoping that these custom calls, even though more mass produced than hand turned calls will have just that little bit of different sound that the birds around here are not used to hearing.

Caspar

so say if i were to order the CM call from macks, would there be a difference in sound or quality than if i called mr halloran up and asked him to make me a CM call?? i understand if i call him i can have it made the exact way i want but i have no idea how i would want it made. i know i listened to an audiofile of the cm and liked it and it sounds better than what i have now, and thats about where my knowledge stops.

wow i made myself sound really stupid but custom calls are new to me. ive never had anyone to teach me anything about turkey hunting. everything ive learned has been on my own. mostly from reading and watching videos and trial and error. i mostly hunt by myself but if i hunt with someone its always with friends that know even less than i do about turkey hunting. as far as buying calls, i would go to walmart or gander mountain, buy whatever looked good. take it home and try it and if i didnt like the way it sounded i would throw it in the garbage and go buy something else. 

right now for calls i have a primos heartbreaker and primos cutter box call. i only use the cutter cuz i dont like the heartbreaker. i also have a primos jackpot and a K&H slate (idk what it is) and i dont care for the jackpot so i never use it. . i also have about 50 mouth calls but only like and use about 3-4 different ones.ive been using these two calls, plus the 3-4 mouth calls for about the last 5-6 years.

southern_leo

Your over thinking it now lol. You picked out two good ones. Sound will be the same from macks as it would be from David unless you ordered a custom combo. Since your new to custom calls and not really sure what you do and don't like just get the ones you picked and expand your collection later. Trust me you'll buy many more.

Caspar

yea i have a tendency to do that.lol.
  thats exactly what i wanted to know, thank you!!
yea ill be buying more for sure! probably at least two more in the next few weeks
i can already feel the addiction taking hold!!  ????

Sx4

One thing to remember... You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a great sounding custom call. I know of several great options from 50$-65$. If you call a call maker and tell them all the stuff you laid out in the last few posts they may be able to point you in a direction or spark an idea of something you never realized but really wanted. Instead buying calls to just sell and trade to find better you can be assured you get a great arsenal!

southern_leo

Quote from: Sx4 on April 06, 2018, 04:38:01 PM
One thing to remember... You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a great sounding custom call. I know of several great options from 50$-65$. If you call a call maker and tell them all the stuff you laid out in the last few posts they may be able to point you in a direction or spark an idea of something you never realized but really wanted. Instead buying calls to just sell and trade to find better you can be assured you get a great arsenal!
Very true. Many of my pots are below even what you put up there. But I'm just starting to sell mine. I know many others on here that run $40-60 range that are all killers. Also good to get from some of these guys before they get big and prices go up. If I'm not mistaken Cody World Class in the early 90's cost $40ish  now it's $175. I talked to a guy last week that bought a Brad Roberts several years ago for 35 or 40 bucks lol. Supply and demand. But definatly don't write of the smaller guys. Actually many on my own wish list right now are smaller builders on this forum I'll be acquiring. For a lot of smaller builders it's mainly a hobby of passion and not as much of a source of income. Not knocking the big guys at all, as I own several of them too, just agree not to disregard smaller builders.

Sir-diealot

Just got my first costume pot call in the mail today and have another coming. First one is already posted.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Caspar

saw the post and commented. beautiful call!
i have my list narrowed down to 4 but i can only afford 2 right now. possibly 3 if i go with two of the cheaper calls im interested in. i was pretty dead set on the CM and the houndstooth but i listened to a few sound files today i may change my mind

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Caspar on April 06, 2018, 09:12:35 PM
saw the post and commented. beautiful call!
i have my list narrowed down to 4 but i can only afford 2 right now. possibly 3 if i go with two of the cheaper calls im interested in. i was pretty dead set on the CM and the houndstooth but i listened to a few sound files today i may change my mind
I'm a newb myself so I don't have a lot of advise to give, I would suggest listening to more than just one sound file of each, listen to multiples of each.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Caspar

i have been. been listening to a bunch of different files of both different calls and the same calls.
i can say i think i like the halloran MM2 just a touch better than the CM but its more than i wanted to spend on one call right now. dont get me wrong the CM sounds great, to my ears the mm2 just has that little something i like. im also really impressed with the strut zone anadized aluminum over glass in padauk, stoned aluminum in padauk and his green slate. i will be making a few phone calls tomorrow

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Caspar on April 06, 2018, 09:37:17 PM
i have been. been listening to a bunch of different files of both different calls and the same calls.
i can say i think i like the halloran MM2 just a touch better than the CM but its more than i wanted to spend on one call right now. dont get me wrong the CM sounds great, to my ears the mm2 just has that little something i like. im also really impressed with the strut zone anadized aluminum over glass in padauk, stoned aluminum in padauk and his green slate. i will be making a few phone calls tomorrow
Davis only lives about 2 hours from me I found out and I am hoping to get to his shop but it won't be until after turkey season. (If he has a shop) I like his Zebrawood Laminate Slate, I have never really run aluminum, not that there is anything wrong with it, I am sure I will, I like to play with toys :D

John Koenig:

model94

I think you made 2 excellent choices! I would add the Shaeffer Atomic 13 as well. It is an aluminum call. Jimmy's company name is Oak Ridge Custom calls and his customer service is excellent.

Caspar

so i changed my mind a little bit.  i really loved the sounds of the strut zone anodized aluminum and stoned aluminum calls. so much that i cant decide between the two so im buying both.

so my question now is, i can afford one more call. id like something that doesnt sound like either of those. what woould you guys recommend

halloran CM, houndstooth ceramic, lonzo green slate, halloran green slate, strut zone green slate or obsession red zebra?

SIUCpilot

John Sinclair!!!!! any of his copper or titanium pots are great for beginners and sound like pure turkey! Impeccable craftsmanship and some of he most beautiful calls around.