turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First custom call

Started by Caspar, April 05, 2018, 10:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caspar

hey whats up guys. i have a couple questions. i know its close to season but ive finally decided to pull the trigger on a custom call....or two....or three. lol. this will be my first custom. after browsing the forum i think ive settled on a halloran crystal mistress and a houndstooth cherry ceramic as my first two.
i also like the sneed calls, halloran slate, strut zone slate, strut zone stoned aluminum, lonzo slate, and a few others.....i can see this becoming an addiction!!
anyway, would you guys recommend the CM and houndstooth as my first two customs or would you recommend something else that ive mentioned....or something that i havnt mentioned?
the only pots i have now are slate and theyr a primos jackpot and a K&H something or other. i was thinking a crystal and a ceramic for some diversity but id like to get some opinions from the veterans first.        thanks!

southern_leo

Those are outstanding choices. Houndstooth is my favorite ceramic. You'll love them both. Go for it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

chuckward

The mistress is the only call that always stays in my vest. You can get one in 2 or 3 days from macks.

Snood Life

Order carefully.. you are about to step into the world of custom calls. Just go ahead and buy all the ones that you listed.  :TooFunny:

Crystal Mystress is a great first pot.  Good luck with it! Never had that houndstooth so I can't speak about it.

zsully

The crystal Mistress is a great first choice. 

Triple B

Paul from Strut Zone makes some top notch calls. His glass and slates are 2nd to none, and for the price it's a no brainer.

MK M GOBL

I can't speak to the calls you are talking of... but 20+ years ago I bought my "first" custom call, a CODY World Class Slate call.

I still carry that call with me on every hunt and it has been the end of more turkeys than any/all other calls I have owned!!

I'm sure the calls you are speaking of are great calls as well.

MK M GOBL

Caspar

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback!!  keep em coming!!

mk, id love to try the cody world class slate but its bit out of my price range right now. maybe ill put that on my list for next year

Caspar

Quote from: 10splayer23 on April 05, 2018, 10:50:14 PM
Order carefully.. you are about to step into the world of custom calls. Just go ahead and buy all the ones that you listed.  :TooFunny:

Crystal Mystress is a great first pot.  Good luck with it! Never had that houndstooth so I can't speak about it.

i wish i could afford all the calls i listed right now! lol. ill have them all by this time next year though. i already have plans in my head for a display case that i want to make for them.

Caspar

ok so i have another question for you guys. ive made up my mind on the crystal mistress and the houndstooth cherry.

do you guys recommend just using the strikers that come with them or are there different strikers i should get also?  if so what kind and from who?

again thanks a bunch!!

chuckward

Derrick stuckey macassar ebony and diamondwood would set you up pretty good

Caspar

i apologize for all the questions but i have one more, would you recommend ordering online from a store (such as macks or midwest) or ordering online from their actual website or actually calling in and ordering??

or doesnt it make any difference?

thank you!!

chuckward

To get  one quick this time of year your gonna have to order from macks or midwest.

Spitten and drummen

Those are 2 great pots and Derrick Stuckey makes awesome strikers. I will throw this out there for you. You want a sure enough killer pot that is way underpriced, contact Dustin jones of Blackstone Calls. You can get 2 for what one cost from other guys and will put them up against most any. Just throwing you that bone. The calls you mentioned are great sounding calls. Good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sx4

Quote from: Caspar on April 06, 2018, 08:38:29 AM
i apologize for all the questions but i have one more, would you recommend ordering online from a store (such as macks or midwest) or ordering online from their actual website or actually calling in and ordering??

or doesnt it make any difference?

thank you!!

In my mind part of what makes it "Custom" is ordering it from the maker.. My idea of Custom is you contact the maker you tell them what you like and the ideas you have. The maker purchases a piece of wood he thinks you will like turns the call by hand and let's you choose from a zillion different surfaces and soundboards... That's ultimate custom. Hand turned original designs  I would consider custom too.. Some may argue CNC calls are not custom.. Everyone has their own opinion about what custom is..