turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg Pure Gold

Started by Fastcat, April 20, 2011, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I am new to the Mossberg 835 game and my pure gold is on the way.  My plan is to run hevi-13 3.5 inch 6's or 7's through this gun.  However currently there is an overabundance of lead turkey shells in my ammo cabinet from guns and seasons past.  So my question is has anyone run lead through this gun and choke?

stinkpickle

I have not tried that combo, but I'm curious...so shoot 'em up and show us.   :D

goblr77

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 20, 2011, 09:52:34 PM
I have not tried that combo, but I'm curious...so shoot 'em up and show us.   :D

Yeah, I would like to know as well.

devin4484

My kicks .670 throws a better patten with lead than my pure gold.  I tested 3.5 2oz win hv no. 5.  The kicks sheds the wad at about 15-17 yards, and the pure gold was losing it about 20-25 yards dont know if this had anything to do with it.  Never shot a hevi load through either of them though.

Fastcat

One of the main reasons I'm curious about this is the fact that I have been completely out of the turkey hunting game for the last 3 years.  In that time #7 hevi shot has some how come out of the wood work and taken the woods by storm.  The patterns that it is producing are incredible!  However when I was hunting hard all of us serious turkey hunters were still using 3.5 inch Winchester HV #5's mated to rhino or kicks chokes.  In that time I saw some great shots take down birds  both near and far with the Winchesters. Which brings me to my question.  Energy is mass*velocity squared.  HV lead is moving at 1300 fps and hevi is traveling at 1090.  I understand that hevi shot is more dense therefore retains velocity better.  But with lead having that much of a head start is there really that much of a difference?  Other than pattern density?

stinkpickle

Quote from: Fastcat on April 21, 2011, 10:47:02 AM
...HV lead is moving at 1300 fps and hevi is traveling at 1090.  I understand that hevi shot is more dense therefore retains velocity better.  But with lead having that much of a head start is there really that much of a difference?  Other than pattern density?

Out to 40 yards (and probably a few more), as long as the pattern is there, it won't matter.

mossy835

If like mine you also have factory chokes (in my case 4 came with the gun) they work well with lead for a variety of purposes including most upland birds and turkeys. Mine patterns well with lead and the factory chokes give it a try and good luck.

Fastcat

The only choke my gun came with was a flush extra full labled "steel T-F."   After putting a calipers on it I think its more of a modified .745."  So if the lead patterns are terrible through my Pure Gold i will go straight to hevi-13.

R AJ

Back when I had a 835 and an extra full choke the Win XX 3.5-2.25-5 an d6 lead patterns were plenty. I like the idea of the 5s as they are about like the H-13#6 in energy at 40 yds and you have plenty of shot for pettern density.

gun for hire

I shot the win xx 3-2-6 load for several years out of my 20" barreled 835 and PG 670 choke.  After polishing the barrel, this combo shot terrific patterns.  My best hovered around the 200 mark.  I am now shooting the H13 3-2-7 load, but if Hevi can't quit monkeying with that load, I won't hesitate to go back to the Win xx load. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Fastcat on April 22, 2011, 05:16:46 PM
The only choke my gun came with was a flush extra full labled "steel T-F."   After putting a calipers on it I think its more of a modified .745."  So if the lead patterns are terrible through my Pure Gold i will go straight to hevi-13.

That choke would be the full T&F steel choke modified all lead.  It is only a full choke for the steel shot.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

trkehunr93

Give lead a try, the Pure Gold in .670 is about as tight as your going to get for the 835.   Not sure about the strut stopper by truglo.  My 835 loves Hevi-13 3.5" #7's, I have not run any lead thru my current set up.

goblr77

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 25, 2011, 12:00:09 PM
Give lead a try, the Pure Gold in .670 is about as tight as your going to get for the 835.   Not sure about the strut stopper by truglo.  My 835 loves Hevi-13 3.5" #7's, I have not run any lead thru my current set up.

The SSX is .670 as well.

Fastcat

I ran some 3.5 inch winchester HV 5's and 6's.  The patterns were very respectable and certainly enough to kill a turkey at 40yards.  I got about 123 in a 10" circle with the 5's and 131 in a 10" circle with the 6's.  I'm sorry about the lack of pictures; I was shooting during the family easter get together and my time was pretty well used up.  If I don't get my hands on any hevi #7s I will be going afield with the trusty HV #5's.!  I have witnessed many gobblers sent to the great beyond with these loads!  Some of them well over forty yards! 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI like the idea of the 5s as they are about like the H-13#6 in energy at 40 yds and you have plenty of shot for pattern density.

Yes, indeed.  Or maybe a #6 with more pellets for inside 40, backed up by a couple of #5's.