OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

anyone have experience with the funky chicken decoy?

Started by supremepredator, March 24, 2016, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

I'd be interested in learning more about this new approach to securing these elusive veggies, including any hints that involves broccoli and/or cauliflower.
[/quote]

cheese and/or Bacon

TKE921

My father-in-law bought one of these a couple years ago and I laughed at him.  We hunt together a lot and have used a plethora of decoys over the years.  Had B-Mobile, Jake-Mobile, and various other jake decoys along with hens.  The first 3 days we had FC out with a she-mobile we had 3 longbeards, 4 jakes, and 4 lone hens come right into it at various farms we hunt

The next year I had one of my own.  It had 4 longbeards come in at once.  They were following a live hen into a field.  She paid 0 attention to my setup and walked off to my left, but the longbeards marched straight up to the setup and initially flogged the crap out of the she-mobile.  I have yet to see a male bird shy away from FC.

Chris O

I have had one for 2 years and have had good results with it and fits in the game bag on my turkey vest. I haven't had any spooking with mine. I would buy another one if something happened to mine.

mightyjoeyoung

In my opinion, that also comes from experience,  I believe its all in the head.   The body and posture are secondary.  I have personally taken the head off one of my inflatable jake decoys and attached it to a dowel rod to see if what a biologist friend of mine said was true.  Prior to the season, during my scouting sessions I would place different gobbler/jake decoys and progressively reduce the amount of body, either by cutting away or deflating the body.  EVERY SINGLE interaction,  all the way to and including just the head on the dowel illicited virtually the same response both from jakes (singles or groups) and mature birds.  They came to the decoy, centered on the head.  Sure if the head was attached to a body, they would spur the daylights out of it, but they did that to just the head too, one group of jakes almost playing soccer with the thung when it popped off the dowel, kiccking it around and pecking at it incessantly.   Body or no, the base response was always the same.  They came in to the head first.  This wasn't a scientific assessment by a long shot.  It was however performed enough times to say my findings have merrit.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

MK M GOBL

That theory doesn't work all the time. I tried Brussel sprouts and loved them. Asparagus, not so much.
LMAO.
X2 - love those brussel sprouts, hate those asparagus.

All The Way!

LOL, I only like asparagus uncooked put it in the fridge and eat it raw and cold, it tastes just like peas.

Don't know a thing about the FC...

MK M GOBL

bruce.smith0817

Works good an easy to carry compared to others Neve had a gobbler spook at it have full strutt decoys

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Halfski

I don't have the funky chicken, but if they every come out with a "breeding hen" funky chicken, I would consider buying the mating pair.  That would be a pretty entertaining sight from the turkey blind. 

Happy

Quote from: Halfski on January 30, 2018, 12:52:13 PM
I don't have the funky chicken, but if they every come out with a "breeding hen" funky chicken, I would consider buying the mating pair.  That would be a pretty entertaining sight from the turkey blind.
Not sure that's a good idea. The offspring would definitely be "special needs". Then the NWTF would be sueing you and we would have a huge mess that would likely require special regulations and liberals. Do you really want to be responsible for all that?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mike103

Year before last my brother and I set up in a field with three hen decoys and the chicken. I set the chicken on the edge of the field away from the hens a bit.

Two gobblers came in slowly until they saw the chicken, there was a dip in the field, when they saw it they ran right at the chicken and we shot at the same time. Two birds down.