OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time for a new vest....

Started by RED NECK, March 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

I have both the Grand Slam and the Primos Gen 2. Both have very good pockets and the difference being that the Grand Slam has designated pockets for certain things and the primos does to an extent. Primos has bigger and more pockets/Grand Slam has less, but more specifically laid out. If that makes sense. Seat pad goes to the primos by a narrow shot, but both are very comfortable. Love the grand slam kickstand because you can literally sit almost anywhere for long periods of time. Each vest fits a different need for me as a hunter.

ezmorningrebel

not sure how big a guy you are but i'm 6' tall, 175# and tried on the medium/large version of the super elite 4.0 and still felt it was too big.

RED NECK

I am 6 ft,235 lbs barrel chested,used to be in real good shape and still in pretty decent shape but my abs are not as defined as they were in my 20's and early 30's.I have packed on a few lbs the last 5 years as my career change has taken me inside.

I am trying to find the ol tom I beam 2.0.I wanted to buy the original years ago but forgot all about them.They look awesome.I just can't seem to find a spot to order one.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

I wish I could order all of them and try them all,but that is very unrealistic.I am wanting to try one more out,I can get the gobbler 2 from primos shipped and have it in a few days.I can order the super elite and have it within 10 days, and I am now interested in the I beam 2.0 from Ol tom, but it is fairly more expensive and seems to be hard to locate,tho.I really like the layout and a few dollars will not deter me,the finding it and getting it is discouraging.

BrowningGuy88

Dang! I think I admire your willingness to pack a vest!

I have a vest, but I could easily get by with just cargo pants and a shirt with pockets.

RED NECK

I have spent a lot of time using just a mouth call and a pot or box call as well,but I want to have a vest.I think i have decided to test a primos gen 2 gobbler vest,I have the original and the strap vest from primos in my basement,both may have been used once or never.

I would like the guys that have the gen 2 or are getting it to give some insight,which size?I don't like tight fitting vests so I can't move but I do not like ones that fit like a blanket,from what I have read a m/l would be ok?..but maybe a xl would be better?...i have a 2xl and it could be a blanket for me.I bought it about 5 years ago as a gift and never gave it away.

I can order the realtree camo gen 2 and have it in 2-4 days but kind of like the green leaf camo and may go that route.It seems to be well priced and have all the storage i need, along with being a true "vest".

eggshell

I like just a simple cloth vest that is light and thus cooler. I had one I patched for years and could not find another one I liked. I must of tried on 100. Then one day I stopped at a Sportman's Warehouse and baboom there was a vest judt like my old one. I snatched that sucker up. It is made by liberty and is as simple as vest come, but I probably packed 100 turkeys in the old one over 20 years and it done well.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/original/a_a_and_e_leathercraft_liberty_strap_turkey_vest_1329823_1.jpg

RED NECK

I am ordering the primos gen 2 gobbler vest in realtree,I looked for the green leaf up here and all I can find is the realtree camo.I don't care about the pattern enough to worry.I can have it in a few days.I am now also considering the super elite 4.0 when it becomes available via amazon again,if not for this year,next.I could spend easily a thousand dollars more to try more vests but there will always be the "other" one to try.

SD_smith

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 09, 2018, 12:57:32 PM
I have spent a lot of time using just a mouth call and a pot or box call as well,but I want to have a vest.I think i have decided to test a primos gen 2 gobbler vest,I have the original and the strap vest from primos in my basement,both may have been used once or never.

I would like the guys that have the gen 2 or are getting it to give some insight,which size?I don't like tight fitting vests so I can't move but I do not like ones that fit like a blanket,from what I have read a m/l would be ok?..but maybe a xl would be better?...i have a 2xl and it could be a blanket for me.I bought it about 5 years ago as a gift and never gave it away.

I can order the realtree camo gen 2 and have it in 2-4 days but kind of like the green leaf camo and may go that route.It seems to be well priced and have all the storage i need, along with being a true "vest".

I am 6 foot 215 lbs and ordered the XL/XXL primos gen 2. I normally need those bigger vests. They actually sent me the M/L size and its actually the right fit for me. Now I am not barrel chested, but more beer bellied! The good part about it being an actual vest is that even if it is too big it wont fall off like a strap vest. I wear XXL shirts mainly for the sleeve length and to hide the gut a little better. If you are truly a big guy you think then go with the bigger size in my opinion. The clips on the front to close it are a bungy type of material and stretch easy if needed. I'd prefer the bigger, but the M/L isn't really that small either. That guy on the Primos show Lake is his name I think? Said he wears the XL/XXL

RED NECK

I may go with the xl primos gen 2,as I will be carrying everything including the kitchen sink and don't want it to be like chris farley in a suit.

I am also ready to click the buy now for the super elite 4.0 from amazon,It will ship when it comes back into stock.

How do you like the gobbler gen 2 vest?

RED NECK

I just spoke with the lady at alps and they will ship me the super elite 4.0.It is a bit more money than the primos vest but I can always get the primos close by.I plan on ordering the super elite 4.0 in xl obsession camo in the next few days instead of the gen 2 right now.I want it for this season.I really like the setup on it and have always wanted a super elite vest.

SD_smith

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 09, 2018, 04:30:09 PM
I just spoke with the lady at alps and they will ship me the super elite 4.0.It is a bit more money than the primos vest but I can always get the primos close by.I plan on ordering the super elite 4.0 in xl obsession camo in the next few days instead of the gen 2 right now.I want it for this season.I really like the setup on it and have always wanted a super elite vest.

I originally bought the primos over the super elite just to find out about the quality of the new primos vest. I figured it would suck and I'd buy the super elite anyways, but it hasn't disappointed yet. I love my alpz grand slam and I imagine the super elite is just as good. Hope it works well for you amigo!

RED NECK

Thanks,It is hard to choose just one,what is frustrating is trying to find a video or pictures of the inside pockets on vests online,I want to know what I can carry and how it will fit on the insides of vests.I can see what pockets are on outside of them.I see and read that is a huge problem from all companies,you would think in 2018 it would be thought of.

SD_smith

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 09, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
Thanks,It is hard to choose just one,what is frustrating is trying to find a video or pictures of the inside pockets on vests online,I want to know what I can carry and how it will fit on the insides of vests.I can see what pockets are on outside of them.I see and read that is a huge problem from all companies,you would think in 2018 it would be thought of.

Honestly I've gotten to thinking in a few years from now if I find myself looking for a new one it'll give me an excuse to go to the NWTF convention where they all are and try them there because I found myself in your same situation a couple of times.

RED NECK

I always wanted to go,but it's a long trip and expensive from ontario.I will be about 50-70 dollars more for the super elite 4.0 than if I purchased the primos gobbler 2 vest.I am kind of stuck as I have always wanted a super elite vest but the new primos gobbler vest looks like a great vest as well and I can get it for quite a bit less.

I am thinking of ordering the primos now, and placing the order on amazon for the super elite 4.0 and when it comes in,it comes in.It would be cheaper for the super elite 4.0 by almost 75 dollars buying it through amazon than getting it direct from company.Even if the super elite does not arrive for this season,I would still like to try it.

Do you think the gobbler 2 vest is well built and carries a lot of items?I believe the pockets on the inside are organized and have zippers?.