turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for a new vest....

Started by RED NECK, March 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

The newest RNG vest have a similar latch on them....that's a good portion of the reason I sold the one I bought back in the summer and bought one of the new bottomland versions.

RED NECK

I was going too and still may buy the new rng 300 in bottomland,I tried last week to buy it but can't find it yet.I may buy another vest in bottomland yet to use,I am going to bass pro either march 2 or 9th depending on work and the weather as it is a 4 hour drive.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

I just purchased the alps long spur,when I tried to buy it last fall it was out of stock,It should be here Sunday and If I do not like it...back to amazon it goes.I couldn't resist testing it out.

Jcfd142

Definitely one from Alps. I had an older primos vest that was awesome except the camo. Got a new gobbler vest cuz I wanted mo obsession and it almost laughable. The material is thin and noisy. Button snaps are really hard and will pull through. The ones at Walmart are just as good. That's what I get for ordering off the webs without seeing it first.

turkaholic

Picked up a Mothwing spring mimicry a few years ago very cheap. If I only knew how great this vest was I would have gotten 2. They are not made anymore. There is a utube video about these vests. Nicely made with leafy wear great pockets and a near match ,pocket wise to my 15 year old striker vest only much lighter. I use this one when temps get into the 70's and my striker made of cotton in the cooler weather. I use pin on leafs on my striker vest and it is the bomb.
live to hunt hunt to live

RED NECK

The alps long spur arrived today, My first impressions of it is that It is perfect for what I wanted and wish I would have tried it last spring.I plan on adding my items to it later today and wear it a bit,I tried it on and I like the way it feels and adjusts.

RED NECK

I had some time this afternoon and switched my calls and items over from another vest into the alps long spur,this hybrid vest/pack really has impressed me.I like that you can attach or detach the call pockets and the lumbar pack and the hide away turkey bag is a great idea,I would never use it for a turkey but I like the idea of carrying a decoy in it,the idea of the modular hybrid pack works great for me if I decide to bow hunt them I can either take one or both of the front call pockets off and just wear the lumbar pack.

I find it comfortable so far and lots of room to carry anything or the bare minimum and it will be a lot cooler on the body when it warms up.

I have tried a lot and owned a lot of different packs,vests and this is a really nice change and I plan on running it this year.I really like the rng 300 but I like this even more,still a month away from hunting season and I could easily add a lot more items to this if needed but this year I am trying to downsize on the amount of calls I carry at one time.

paboxcall

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 31, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
I really like the rng 300 but I like this even more,still a month away from hunting season and I could easily add a lot more items to this if needed but this year I am trying to downsize on the amount of calls I carry at one time.

Thanks, heartbreak, you saved me $119. I have the long spur, new last year and almost pulled the trigger on an RNG 300. Sticking with what I got!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

RED NECK

I plan on using either the seat off my rng 300 or something similar and just clip it on to the lumbar part,I have done the same for years using a seat cushion in my tree stand while bow hunting.

paboxcall

I did that last year, strapped a cheap foam pad seat to the bottom of the fanny pack. Worked fine all season long.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

RED NECK

After loading the long spur up,and then today shouldering my gun to my shoulder,I have come to realize that the shoulder straps are thick and make it very uncomfortable to shoulder my gun normally.I do not have this issue with the rng 300 or my ll bean vest.I like everything about the long spur other than that and I do find the front pockets cumbersome and bulky,which I do not like.I would put the rng 300 ahead of the alps long spur for those reasons.I already have the rng 300 and hunted it last year.I think I am going to stick with it and send the long spur back to amazon.

RED NECK

I had a limbhanger vest and didn't like it at all,I purchased it off here and sold it on here.I would never pay that for a vest.The nomad vest reminds me of the limbhanger,that's why I never tried that one.

Dtrkyman

A friend let me test out his longspur, I loaded it up and put it on, I hated those pouches on the chest they were in the way if you had to quick draw one!

Unloaded and put back into my old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzler

As a new turkey hunter, i've really enjoyed this thread.  I have been going through the decision process on choosing a vest.

My first choice was the Alps Impact for the camp chair option.  3 things I did not like about it:
1.  Seat.  You must unbuckle three buckles to deploy.  Walking with it deployed is possible but noisy and does require strap adjustment if you buckle back up with it deployed.  I think this is caused by the reinforcement/"frame" on both sides of the seat.  Prevents any flexibility.  Checked Alps and their video said the way to deploy was to unbuckle sternum and bottom two straps, but sitting down with the vest open made the pocket layout not work for me.

The seat is pretty thin and butt slips on the seat.  Several instances where I scooted down when on an incline.  I think if you want back support, check out one with a kickstand.

2.  Zippers and pockets.  Too loud.  Seem solid though.  Enough pockets for what i carry.  The box call and separator was pretty tight.  I felt as though it was rubbing all my chalk off though.

3.  Straps and sizing.  I'm 5'9" 185lbs and I had to cinch all the adjustment straps to the max for it to fit right.  The result was a flurry of tag ends.

Verdict:  Sending back to Amazon.