Time for a new vest....

Started by RED NECK, March 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

Quote from: SD_smith on February 15, 2019, 07:42:47 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 15, 2019, 07:41:07 PM
Quote from: SD_smith on February 15, 2019, 01:48:01 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 15, 2019, 01:20:38 PM
I like the pattern.I may try and see if I can get that to try out.The weight of the alps gs is holding me back from clicking the purchase button,so far.

I've got the XL Grand Slam. Been using it for going on 3 years. Without the frame it is extremely light. With the frame it is still lighter than carrying a chair. I don't use the frame much, but the couple times I have it's fine. It's not like you're carrying the little extra weight in your hand. It's spread over both shoulders and centered well. Without the frame the vest is amazing.
How big of a guy are you?I am 214 lbs and 6 ft right now,I don't want it Chris Farley tight  or blanket loose.

5'11" and 225. Fits good. Not baggy or small.
It looks like the xl is what I would order then as I am usually around 225-230 lbs.I am down a few lbs right now.lol.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

ugaDAWGS09

I've been following your vest search. I'm looking to purchase my first vest. I really like the layout of the RNG 300 but I usually carry at least one decoy and sometimes two with me. Which vest did you like the best that had a place to carry a decoy ? I could go with the RNG but then I would have to carry the decoys and my gun. Just nice to have a free hand if possible.

RED NECK

I carry all me decoys in a separate decoy bag,I never have carried one in a vest.The primos gobbler 2 has a huge back to carry a decoy or two.I like carrying them in a decoy bag and I only use decoys 50% of the time at most anyway.You can carry a decoy with the straps the rng 300 comes with,mine are in the bottom of my tote and have never even been undone.

TauntoHawk

I like my primos rocker for the seat but I did get a run and gun to try

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RED NECK

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 16, 2019, 12:34:31 PM

I thought it was having issues with it not having great stitching?I have been reading up on it and can get it through amazon up here,the reason why I have t tried it was the reviews of it holding up,the stitching issues.I like the looks of it and the storage on it,I am having elastic and buttons sewn on my rng 300 instead of buying the new version,I never had an issue but I do think It's a great idea to be able to clip the pot calls in.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 16, 2019, 12:39:21 PM

I thought it was having issues with it not having great stitching?I have been reading up on it and can get it through amazon up here,the reason why I have t tried it was the reviews of it holding up,the stitching issues.I like the looks of it and the storage on it,I am having elastic and buttons sewn on my rng 300 instead of buying the new version,I never had an issue but I do think It's a great idea to be able to clip the pot calls in.
Oh for sure the build was terrible I reenforced a lot of the stress points with braided fishing line but i loved the seat style and pockets were pretty good layout and a ton of them. It actually held up well after all my stitching fixes last season. The run and gun was a gift someone gave me but I'll give it a try

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RED NECK

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 16, 2019, 01:12:55 PM

Oh for sure the build was terrible I reenforced a lot of the stress points with braided fishing line but i loved the seat style and pockets were pretty good layout and a ton of them. It actually held up well after all my stitching fixes last season. The run and gun was a gift someone gave me but I'll give it a try

I assume it is made with the same type of material the gobbler 2 vest is?I want to add another vest but have no intentions of buying a handful like last spring to try.I want to pick one to buy and use.I am going to bass pro in the next month or so and may wait and see what they have,I realize that a pattern really makes little difference but I am interested in trying a bottom land camo vest as I just purchased some bottom land camo to wear on my upper body this early season.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 16, 2019, 01:21:25 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 16, 2019, 01:12:55 PM

I assume it is made with the same type of material the gobbler 2 vest is?I want to add another vest but have no intentions of buying a handful like last spring to try.I want to pick one to buy and use.I am going to bass pro in the next month or so and may wait and see what they have,I realize that a pattern really makes little difference but I am interested in trying a bottom land camo vest as I just purchased some bottom land camo to wear on my upper body this early season.
The same stitching you use for the call pockets can't be used to keep the stays that support your weight in the seat but yep its just standard single stitching with wimpy thread. Now my work looks terrible but its strong and holds up.

Those seats are just so versatile.

RED NECK

Any of you try the Midway Deluxe Turkey Vest?I like the looks of the layout on it and was thinking of trying it out.I think some of the no name brands get left out but the double l from ll bean is still my favorite vest ever built along with the rng 300.This midway vest seems like it may be worth a purchase to test out.

wvmntnhick

I've used several vests over the years. Some good, others not so much. I've still kept my Primos gobbler vest (1st gen) and have a Cabela's TT2. Both are great for what I do. Plenty of space for calls and I've switched to Montana miss purrfect and jake decoys. Really lightened the load but they rarely come out of the vest. In fact, I've had them 3-4 seasons so far and have used them maybe 4-5 times. TT2 has a better box call pocket and call pockets in general. It does limit the number of calls I can carry more so than the primos vest but typically just run one of gooserbats diaphragms and Yingling pot call anyway so it's not an issue for me. If I'm hunting with my buddy and we're doing more moving around, I grab the Primos Freaky Seat. If I'm gonna go really light, OT vestless shirt gets the job done. Yingling pot in one pocket, enticer pot in the other in case the weather turns. Mouth call in the slot in front of the pocket and a scratch box as well. It's all in what you really need the best to do really. You've got some good options picked out already. Good luck with ur decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 25, 2018, 02:19:20 PM
great opening morning,I had roosted these birds for a few days,however I have been hunting this property for over 30 years.There were 3 toms within shooting distance and I had a good bead on this one this morning,shot him approx 10 minutes after fly down.I then spent the last 5 hours trucking around with my dad trying to get on more birds as I am tagged out for day.This bird weighed 20 lbs 4 oz and a 9" beard with 1" spurs.This is the first bird I have shot with a reflex sight,I paid 28 dollars for it and it's been an excellent find and I am getting another for my 20 gauge today.Home to get dry as it poured rain all day and is hammering now.Browning Bps 12 gauge nwtf,3.5" long beard 5"s and a gt .675 is deadly on birds.

I cant get pictures to load,says they are to big.....I will be toting my tc encore 20 gauge single shot the next few days....What a great opening morning!!!!
better late than never.I have figured out how to crop pictures and post them on the forum now.

RED NECK

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 17, 2019, 12:10:20 PM
I've used several vests over the years. Some good, others not so much. I've still kept my Primos gobbler vest (1st gen) and have a Cabela's TT2. Both are great for what I do. Plenty of space for calls and I've switched to Montana miss purrfect and jake decoys. Really lightened the load but they rarely come out of the vest. In fact, I've had them 3-4 seasons so far and have used them maybe 4-5 times. TT2 has a better box call pocket and call pockets in general. It does limit the number of calls I can carry more so than the primos vest but typically just run one of gooserbats diaphragms and Yingling pot call anyway so it's not an issue for me. If I'm hunting with my buddy and we're doing more moving around, I grab the Primos Freaky Seat. If I'm gonna go really light, OT vestless shirt gets the job done. Yingling pot in one pocket, enticer pot in the other in case the weather turns. Mouth call in the slot in front of the pocket and a scratch box as well. It's all in what you really need the best to do really. You've got some good options picked out already. Good luck with ur decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sold a gobbler 2 vest that I never used as it was way to big,I own the original gobbler vest and the strap vest.They are ok,I had the tatr 2 last spring for a few weeks and I probably didn't give it an honest chance and kind of regret it as I did come to like it after a few days.I may still end up with one this spring,I would purchase it today but I may as well wait to see if it comes on sale like last spring.Thanks for the info.

RED NECK

I dropped my rng 300 off at the ladies house that is going to do some alterations on the pot call holders and now instead of just a elastic cord,she is going to use some camo material and sew it on so they both will be covered and use snaps to keep them covered,works for me.I was going to get the new one but,no reason too now.

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

RED NECK

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 18, 2019, 06:28:24 PM
I dropped my rng 300 off at the ladies house that is going to do some alterations on the pot call holders and now instead of just a elastic cord,she is going to use some camo material and sew it on so they both will be covered and use snaps to keep them covered,works for me.I was going to get the new one but,no reason too now.
She ended up doing what we originally talked about as I thought it over and I didn't want snap,just something easy to be fail safe for that one time a call may slip,they really do not move as I never had an issue.I really do like the added cord though.here is what I had done,if it wont hold,she will re do it.