OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Changing it up!!!

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 24, 2018, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Just wondering how many guys get set in a certain style or way of hunting Turkey's? I've hunted them for somewhere around 20 years and hunt mainly field edges. I've killed a whole bunch of Turkey's and usually fill tags with blind calling and patience.
On occasion I'll hear that Gobbler sounding off in the distance and I'm reluctant to close the distance..I definitely don't know everything about turkey hunting and always willing to learn and finally try something a little new even though my tactic is most generally effective.Sometimes I'm somewhat reluctant to try new methods,but this year I'm going to try to be more rounded especially on the days sitting and blind calling aren't panning out.
I'm not into ambushing,fanning,or anything other than calling one into me,but I'm going to try going to that Gobbler I hear sounding off in the distance and also some walking along and blind calling beings I have enough private ground to hunt and shouldn't get shot. Lol.. Hope everyone has Great and Safe season this spring.

Happy

Not really, I will always hunt by calling and positioning to try and kill one. Occasionally I will sit and blind call on a slow morning but that's about it. Using blinds, gobbler/jake decoys or a tailfan in any manner has absolutely no appeal to me personally.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

I've killed turkeys about every way possible.  Some methods are more enjoyable to me.  I prefer run and gun to all others but even then it's patience that kills the bird.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rzrbac

I never sit down until I have one committed and I know I'm going to kill him. I cover a lot of ground and call quite a bit. I realize it's not the most effective method for everyday and every place and time but it's how I like to hunt. It works for me and I punch tags however I have had some birds get under my skin and change up and hunt them a little different. That involves a lot more patience and more sitting. It's not my favorite way to hunt so it's rare that I do that. I'm gonna stick with what I usually do, I'm blessed to have a lot of public land here in southern MO. I have hunted some private but I usually feel confined by fences so it's just not for me. Don't get me wrong if I had access to big tracts of private land, I would hunt but 400 acres or less is just too small for me.

One thing I would like to switch up is staying here in MO and try hunting a few different states. Seems my budget just doesn't allow for that and going out west in the fall and chasing elk. Hopefully I stay healthy enough to chase elk and make a connection or two to do some out of state turkey hunting one of these days.

Cut N Run

The private land I hunt the most are both horse farms under 150 acres each, with less than half of it pasture.  There is hunting pressure on each side of them, but thankfully, those guys hunt & call the same way, from the same places.

I have built a couple of low brush blinds up against fallen trees on each farm, so I can react to wherever the gobbles are coming from.  The nice thing about maintaining the trails is that I can get around quickly and quietly, even in the dark. 

In the big woods & public land, it amazes me how well the turkeys seem to know where the property lines are.  Those lands also have roads and foot paths, though other hunters use the same roads to get around & set up on.

You can count the times I've hunted a field or field edge on one hand, but I have hunted powerline openings about 1/4 of the time since I started hunting turkeys in 1982. Woods are my favorite.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Chris O

I am a patient hunter as well. I guess I have bumped to many birds when I move. I blind call a lot like you described as well. I have witnessed some guys first hand that hear one gobble and run after it and get really close to it and call and kill it. I tend to stay a little farther away because I tend to spook them when I get close. I snuck in on a couple birds once that were in a little wood lot and I could see them.These were pressured birds and when I did a couple soft yelps they peeled out of there, I will never forget that you just never know how a bird will respond the next one may charge right in. Good luck on being more aggressive I want to be this year on the roost especially again I stay farther away.

Brian Fahs

Most of my hunting is done on hard hunted public land. No two hunts are ever the same. Being persistent and creative account for most of my kills. Patience has been crucial especially as the season wears on. I have learned a lot in nearly 40 years of spring gobbler hunting but strive to continue to learn each time I step foot in the woods.
Usually the answers to our questions are right in front of our noses. It just a matter of reading the sign and the current hunting pressure. How we react and apply what we see is what separates the stone cold killers from the average hunters.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Brian Fahs on March 25, 2018, 09:55:06 AM
Most of my hunting is done on hard hunted public land. No two hunts are ever the same. Being persistent and creative account for most of my kills. Patience has been crucial especially as the season wears on. I have learned a lot in nearly 40 years of spring gobbler hunting but strive to continue to learn each time I step foot in the woods.
Usually the answers to our questions are right in front of our noses. It just a matter of reading the sign and the current hunting pressure. How we react and apply what we see is what separates the stone cold killers from the average hunters.
Agree 100% Im going to try going from the above average category to the stone cold without going to the skunked category.. Lol...