turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who uses lead sleds

Started by Fl strutter, March 24, 2018, 05:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

I just bought a good lead sled but have a few questions. If I zero my shotgun with a lead sled will my poi be the same in a hunting situation? I've read were the poi will be different due to the recoil being managed differently. Im not familiar with them so I figured I'd ask some of y'all who may have experience with them. I've also heard they are bad for the stocks. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

MK M GOBL

I don't have a lead sled but have been using a bench master for 25+ years. I have two 25# bags of lead shot on the legs, never had an issue with anything. Now I'm not sitting at a bench an doing a lot of shooting, I use to check guns are still "on" every season or if I am sighting in new gun/scope.

MK M GOBL 

Gamblinman

I use one. Use 2 25lb lifting weights. All my turkey and hog guns are synthetic stocks and no damage. I zero all my guns in with it and have no problems in the field with hitting where I aim.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

TauntoHawk

Use one no issues but they will make you want to waste more shells because it is so much more pleasant to shoot again

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wigsplitter

I sight in 22's and deer rifles and pattern shotguns with mine — never had a poa- poi problem — if it will work with those rifles should not be a problem with the shotgun— never had it scratch or ding a stock they have nice padding at the butt and forearm area. Shoot away with pleasure!!

1iagobblergetter

I bought a lead sled several years ago for 2 reasons. The first one was to manage recoil and the 2nd was to reduce human error. I haven't had any problems in the field after zeroing my guns in. I did have one of my guns stock become loose after patterning. I tightened and have never had a problem since. You'll be glad you bought one. They are money well spent.

trkehunr93

Money well spent, I have the lead sled solo.  Works great for me, used to use sand bags but got tired of hauling multiple bags to the range. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I would shoot at least one or two without the sled to make certain everything is the same. There's so many things about turkey hunting you cannot control, sighting in your gun is not one of them. If you cannot take the recoil of a couple shots without the sled what's the plan when your hunting lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Treerooster

I use a lead sled to sight in a turkey gun (or any rifle for that matter) and make sure my gun is still on at the beginning of every season. Have use it for quite a few years now.

I shoot a 12ga Encore and it kicks pretty hard. Use to put weight on the sled, but now I just use the lead sled with no weight on it. I was worried about damaging the gun and I did find the gun to shoot a touch higher when not using the lead sled. Not real high, maybe 3 inches at 40 yds. I have also experienced a loose stock and had something go wrong with the action of the Encore (sent it back to TC and they fixed it for nothing). Can't say for sure if that was from the sled but I feel better shooting it with no weight on it and the recoil isn't bad at all. Plenty steady for sighting in too.

dublelung

I use one and love it. No complaints with poi or gun damage.

taylorjones20

Never had a poa/poi change when using the sled.  Also, never notice the recoil when shooting a turkey  ;D
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Fl strutter

Thanks a lot. I was just trying to reassure myself about using it. It sure will take the human error away. Also make it a lot easier to sight in with fewer shots. Thanks everyone.

hookedspur

I stopped using mine , got tired of breaking things , scopes ,stocks, bases. I think it has to give a little or something else will. 
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Ozarks Hillbilly

I use it on a new gun to get it close. I have experienced POI difference between lead sled and shoulder mount. I always make final adjustment shooting from shoulder

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Fl strutter

The one I bought has a spring so that it gives when you shoot. I'm not going to put weights on it either but will sure check poi vs poa off of shoulder after sighting it in on it.