OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal hw 5's

Started by pagunslinger, April 13, 2011, 02:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagunslinger

Any1 tried these in an 870 20g.? Got a youth model and it seems to b the only federals i can find locally! Also any1 got a good combo with the hevi 13 3" 5's?  Lookin for chokes that would go well with them!  SORRY bout all the q's!!!!

sugarray

Why are you wanting to shoot 5's in the hevi's?  You can go down to 7's and get much better patterns.  In a 20 gauge you are not going to have many #5's for a good pattern.  You will likely only have killing patterns to 30 yds.

If that is all you have then I'd go with the Rem SF for hevi shot it is .570 or .575 and should shoot the 5's well.

hookedspur

IC or Pure Gold 555 and H13 7s       :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

goblr77

Luke95

Sumtoy Get Choked

pagunslinger

Cant find any 7's locally!!! Would love to get some without payin shipping!!

R AJ

It is true that the #5s have fewer pellets than #6s or #7s but  I would not let that keep me from trying the 5s.  A Fed HW 5 packs a wallop and if the pattern is suitable at the distance you plan to shoot then  by all means go ahead.  You do not have to know much more than where the limit is on getting 80 uniform pellets in a 10" circle  and be sure that your bird is in that range.

Good hunting.

surehuntsalot

I can get 95 pellets of #5 HW's with my 20ga in a 10" at 40yds
don't think for one minute that I won't take that pattern hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

savduck

7s may not be legal where he is hunting. 95 pellets at forty is plenty of killing pattern.
Georgia Boy

R AJ

Hal,
What you are saying is very good advice .However, if you keep the rule of having 80-100 pellets ,your comfort number, in the 10" circle at a given yardage and are using HW5s you should be able to take that bird .
I believe that the guy wants smaller but it is not available to him just yet.
If I can put 10-12 #5 pellets in a 3" circle at 40 yards consistently and that was all the store had it would not keep me from turkey hunting the next morning.

SumToy

I think if you going to stay in the 30 yard rang it good. I would like to see the 6's or 7's in you can use them.  It is back to the deal of you just dot have but so many to work with.  I have always been one that if I put just 4 #7's in place of 1 #5 that give me 3 more to hit a vital organ.  This big with the 20ga and with the shells on the market now days take advantage of them with the 20ga.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

MOSPURS

umm guys
this whole thread debate is messed up
federal does not and has not made heavyweight 3"20ga #5's
i have the 2011,2010,and 2008 pricelists in my computer
there not there
i don't know where this got confused
but its either lead federal 5's or else some guys have been talking h13 5's

R AJ

Quote from: MOSPURS on April 19, 2011, 12:13:17 PM
umm guys
this whole thread debate is messed up
federal does not and has not made heavyweight 3"20ga #5's
i have the 2011,2010,and 2008 pricelists in my computer
there not there
i don't know where this got confused
but its either lead federal 5's or else some guys have been talking h13 5's

That i sgood with me . The guy said he had em . It is no debate with me.
I will gladlly change the Fed HW 5s to just 5s as in #5 lead as my rule stands regardless. Thanks for pointing out the myth of Fed HW 5s as that has always bothered me too.