turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Doesn't sound like a box call

Started by howl, June 16, 2018, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

Who makes a box call that sounds like a turkey, not a box call? There are, of course, hens what sound exactly like a box call. Most don't. Most makers produce box calls that all sound about the same. There are differences in quality and playability, but you can tell it is a box call yelping.

Are there any new designs that have pure turkey sound?

Happy hooker

I agree,,if you say a watkins fiddle sounds like all others  you've never tried one and a Dan Wittenberg paddle sounds like no other longbox

mspaci

I've got an old Quaker boy that you can't tell and a van isle that you can't.

Spitten and drummen

In my opinion a good box sounds just like a majority of hens. Up close in the yard maybe not but get 50 or 60 yards away in the woods and listen to one. Pure hen turkey all day and i have a shoe box full of beards to support the claim. Especially a hen box. All i can say is wow. Not quiet understanding the wanting a box that doesnt sound like a box. Most any call played in the woods around a season hunter can be identied from boxes to pots to mouth calls. The beauty is that rythem and cadence trumps actual sound and thank goodness all hens have different voices. That being said though , as a turkey hunter we are always looking for calls that sound like certain hens we have heard. I believe we as hunters all like a certain sound  and that varies from one person to the next but the turkey is the main judge. I have called birds with calls that i have thought sounded horrible. Sorry if i got off topic. Good luck op.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

JonD.

I have an older Quaker Boy that doesn't sound like a box call when you run it, but it's just a little too high in pitch for my liking. The turkeys don't seem to like it much. I've never been real fond of box calls, but I've never used a good custom one either.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Yoder409

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 16, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
In my opinion a good box sounds just like a majority of hens. Up close in the yard maybe not but get 50 or 60 yards away in the woods and listen to one. Pure hen turkey all day..............

This.  Yep.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TauntoHawk

Box calls are also an instrument, thinking there's nothing more then dragging the paddle across the rail will only get a box call sounding turkey you have to learn play them well before you get the full pure turkey potential out of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

yelpy

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 16, 2018, 06:47:02 PM
Box calls are also an instrument, thinking there's nothing more then dragging the paddle across the rail will only get a box call sounding turkey you have to learn play them well before you get the full pure turkey potential out of them.

You got that right... That goes for any style call. To me a pot call doesn't sound as realistic as a box call but I have more experience running a box call. I love a good long box or short box and do very well with them. I have 3 favorite long boxes, Ralph Snodgrass, Billy Bush and a Marlin Watkins. They all sound pure turkey to me and the birds like them too. My favorite short box call is made by Albert Paul. You have to put the realism in the box. The hens are built in. Just have to find that right call you can run like a champ. They all run a bit different.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

howl

Things sure can get deep around here sometimes. Thanks for the on-topic responses.

turkeymanjim

I think it's the operated behind the box that makes it sound all turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I also think there's more into frequency and tones then the human hear picks up on when it comes to what a turkey thinks a turkey call sounds like.

I think the best sounding turkey talk to a human is often a mouth call but I'm not sure a wild turkey hears the same way, my best conversation starter with a wild turkey is a scratch box.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jacobson

Quote from: turkeymanjim on June 17, 2018, 07:32:23 AM
I think it's the operated behind the box that makes it sound all turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Could not agree more.... As with any other type of call also.

J Lacey

yep. Strum the open strings of a guitar and it sounds like
A Guitar.  If you want Jimi Hendrix you gotta work.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

trb136

Depends on whos running the call IMO   I think its like any call you have to have the feel for it...Id take a box call any day...