OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Toms won't come all the way

Started by rustyi, April 18, 2011, 11:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyi

This is the first year of hunting for me and my 27 yr old son.  We're hunting in mountainous terrain in Utah with few openings, mostly Juniper filled canyons and draws.  The bottom of the draws have several big cottonwoods.  We are right amongst the turkeys because there is fresh sign all over.

We found a couple of quite small meadows in two different canyons and we've hunted one for three mornings, Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday.  We set out two hen decoys and one tom decoy.  Each morning we've been able to call toms into within what we believe to be about 60-80 yards (its hard to tell in thick timber and little experience).  But each time the gobblers never get close enough to see them and just stop responding all together.

We start out with soft tree yelps and pick it up a little as they get closer.  We each have calls so we call together representing two hens together.  But since the toms stop responding out there a ways, we're wondering what we're consistently doing wrong.  By 10:00 or 11:00 everything shuts down all together.

We're on public land but it seems we're pretty well alone.  We weren't there for the opening but we understand it was quite crowded opening morning but has been quite ever since.  As the snow melts, the birds are moving higher out  of the bottom of draws to the tops of the ridges but they are pretty well in the same area.

Any advice to a couple of newbies would be greatly appreciated.

redleg06

Dont over call....

alot of folks call because they like to hear them gobble. The problem with that is that every time they gobble, it increases the risk of a hen or other hunter hearing them and moving in on them. If they get henned up before they get to you then they will almost always stop worrying about finding you. 

Knowing when to call and when to go silent will help you quite a bit and will come with experience.

Generally speaking- Call  just enough to let them know where you are and when you can tell that they are closing ground to you, shut up and let them search you out.  If they have began to move toward you, you are winning the curiosity battle and they are making an attempt to find you....which is what calling turkey is all about.  Make them search a little bit.

TauntoHawk

play hard to get.. just when they get fired up and answer immediately to a call.. SHUT UP for at least 10min ( it goes against every bone in your body I know)

another great option with 2 guys, is when you get a gobbler fired up have one hunter slip straight at him (never calling) and have the other guy hang back and call. if the birds hang up at 80 to the called have the other guys 60yd infront of the caller

if you cant get closer, than have the caller stand up and walk away called hard and try and drag the gobbler into the original set up..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rustyi

Very good suggestions.  We've obviously been calling too much!

TauntoHawk

I still call way too much, I feel like if I stop calling Mr. Tom will get bored and wonder off so I need to check in on his progress and call til he sounds off every couple minutes.. problem is he sounds off from the same spot til he does get bored or other company moves in and he quietly drifts off the other direction.

Its defiantly to biggest mistake of rookie and novice tukey hunters.. You often hear story that go like, "I can get the birds to gobble but then they go silent or walk the other way. maybe my calling wasnt good enough".. if it wasnt good enough or didnt sound like a turkey they wouldnt gobble the problem was over calling.

he either thinks youre going to come to him, other hens come in and steal him from the intruding hen, or his hens that are already with him lead him away from the competition.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CntrlPA

Every time you call, you're telling that gobbler that you're on your way to him. You want it the other way around. Make some light calls (They have very good hearing and will pin point you) and then only call every 15 min or so. Good luck

guesswho

Quote from: rustyi on April 18, 2011, 11:56:14 PM
We set out two hen decoys and one tom decoy. 

We start out with soft tree yelps and pick it up a little as they get closer.  We each have calls so we call together representing two hens together.
I'd do just the opposite.    I'd go no deke's and I'd tone it down with the calling as they get closer.  I'd even quit calling all together if they have committted to your location.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Skinman

yeah man ive been having the same problems just down here in the southeast, im just trying to make myself more patient, and truly they will shake off hens and get back to gobbling around 1 or 2, so i take a break and then try again, atleast thats advice for down here but good luck to yall!

deersled

I sometimes think it is all predetermined from the time that bird wakes up. He is either in the mood or not. This explains those hunts where a guy says "I called and he came in on a string" and the hunts where the bird hammers and walks the other way or doesn't move. Once he answers, I believe he is either coming or not. By continuing to call, more times than not, you sound over anxious and alot of times he hangs up or gets suspicious. We all like to call and think we can "make" these birds do things they don't want to do. Its hard, but when they answer we need to shut it down and let him hunt us. Remember, the first time he hears you, I think he knows "exactly" where you are. Let it be....he's either coming or he's not.

Duke0002

rustyi,  Don't put out the tom decoy.  Try it with only hen decoys.  Some good advice in this thread for you to try.

Cutt

As mentioned, don't over call let the bird hunt you.

Although here's the most deadly tactic if terrain permits movement? You have a bird below you that is holed up and not moving and can not see your postion. Get up walk about 40 yards away from him, pop in a mouthcall and call as you continue to walk away another 20 yards or so. Then slip back to your original postion, and don't make a peep. Believe me he will come, and in most cases pretty quick, Love this tactic, but must have the foilage and terrain for moving. Nothing more deadly than a moving hen vs. a calling hen tied to a tree.

lohaus

I've had a hen fire up a few times and get all loud on me.  In those few instances, I pretty much copied her.  She seemed to get more and more angry and head my way bringing in the Toms in tow.  Man, them Toms started gobbling their heads off and came from multiple directions.  We were in the woods and it was pretty dang intense.  I figured either she was going to lead them away or come in all fired up.  It worked for me a few times.