OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Woodhaven mouth calls

Started by KYHeadhunter02, March 10, 2018, 09:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I dont run mouth calls much, but I'm wanting to run them a bit more. Woodhaven are a bit pricey, are they worth it? Anyone have any favorites? I like a raspier call that I can purr on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I hate to bash em being they're a site supporter but I stopped using them. I'd use i think the copperhead 2. Don't quote me on that and a few others. I found real inconsistency. I was buying 4 at a time hoping to get 3 good ones . That's just not right or fair.
Thank God there's other companies I could switch to

Candyman

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 10, 2018, 09:16:55 PM
Hey check with Daddy Rat, his mouth calls are great. Also Gooserbat, if you want rasp, try the Heckler

I recommend daddy rats mouth calls too. Especially one he calls blue death. Turkeys here in MS loved it last year.

wvmntnhick

I'll second Gooserbat. Love his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Well, i am just starting out so i dont have much of a useful perspective to offer but i will say this.  I really wanted to step up my mouth calling this spring so i bought both of the Scott Ellis DVDs and a stack of his signature mouth calls (the brown colored one made by Woodhaven).  I have spent countless hours practicing with the DVDs and these calls and so far i have been very happy.

Have not bothered messing around with my other mouth calls any more.  But what do i know, i'm only a beginner!  So far so good though with Woodhaven mouth calls and they have won my loyalty.

SouthernStrut

I prefer Hooks or Zink for good rasp bc they like to use thin proph material a lot.  Legacy makes great mouth calls also.  Just bought the Ninja Hammer from Woodhaven, and I hate to bash anybody's calls, especially theirs because they are king and usually don't make a bad call, but I couldn't get what I wanted from that thing.  Hooks Deceiver is a good one that I recently purchased, and just about anything from Zink gets my vote.  Most of what I carry are basic 2.5 or 3.5 reed v cuts that I make myself from thin proph reeds and a little thicker top reed.  Mix in a batwing or cutter style every now and then for something different.  I don't make too many mouth calls, just enough for me and whenever somebody I know wants a good one.  I basically give em away bc it costs about $1.50 and 5 minutes to make one without a press or tape cutter.  Lot of good custom call makers with great stuff I haven't tried.  I'll have to check out Daddy Rat, lot of good words about him on here.
Blake
Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- True Custom Glass, Crystal, Copper, Slate, etc.
www.southernstrutcalls.com

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk.  Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."  -Fred Bear

WNCTracker

I like the woodhaven copperhead a lot but hooks diaphragms are the most user friendly diaphragms I've used.

KYHeadhunter02

I would rather give my money to Gooserbat, but I was going to use an Amazon gift card to buy some hunting gear and ran across the woodhaven ones.

KYHeadhunter02

I also have the mouth call magic DVD that I bought years ago. To this day I still haven't watched it. I can do some basic calls on a mouth call. I'm wanting to get it to more complex calling.

Bowguy

Boykin Hollow

Agree on the Hooks,  I won't use anything else.  Get the yellow colored one, it is called the heart throb at $6.00.  He has other good ones also,  that is my favorite.  A great guy to talk with also. 

SteelerFan

Hooks & Shane Simpson's new prodigy series. I really like Shane's center cut ($5)

https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouth-calls

perrytrails

I used the Woodhaven Scott Ellis signature call for several years. Really liked it.

I ordered 3 a few years ago. Loose latex, wrinkles and crooked cut tape. I tried contacting them by email and phone. No reply.

That forced me to start making my own. Best decision I ever made.

TauntoHawk

Always thought they were incredibly stiff and took a ton of air to run.

Hooks, houndstooth, halloran have always run great stayed consistent last multiple seasons and run super easy. I like a versitial call that's built less raspy I can add rasp as I want it but it's really hard to run clean a built to sound like a chain smoker.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

raven105

IMO, woodhaven calls take too much air to run. It's quality stuff but a little too thick with the latex. Of course, like anything else, personal preference is everything.