OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi shot Vs TSS

Started by Seahunt, March 04, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

TSS for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Belo83 on June 12, 2020, 05:04:38 PM
Doing some ammo shopping and have shot both hevi #4's and hevi #7's for 10+ years with success. I've also rolled and missed.

As it's time to reup, I too am wondering if I should switch to TSS. I see Hevi makes one by they way.

I'll add that I've traditionally always shot 3.5" shells. Thanks all.
If you are doing ammo shopping.... I recommend checking out www.nitrocompany.com  Look up your gun and the recommended choke (brand and constriction).

No matter what you shoot good luck.

Belo83

Quote from: WW on June 15, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
I tried both in my 870 and both pellet counts at 40 yards were within 8 pellets of each other. I won't shoot a turkey past 40ish yards because that's not turkey hunting to me... If I can't call him in to 40 and under, he will live to be hunted another day. The tss is denser and allows you to use a 20 gauge to kill them the same distance as a 12 gauge and that is the selling point. To me, NO it's not worth it. I still carry my 12 gauge and love it, even if it is a little more heavy than a 20. What's amazing is how many people killed them at 40 plus for many years now think they have to have it just because it kills turkeys so far out. It's not about the pattern for everyone, for some, it's a crutch.

I appreciate this response. The general response I'm seeing here is that they're great for a 20 and while not bad it's not significantly better in a 12 to justify the cost increase. I have no desire to buy a new gun until my kids get older. But I also have never shied away from expensive bullets. I spend so much time and money getting ready for the shot, the arrow and bullet is not something i'm going to skimp on in any hunting situation.

Huckleberry91

I shoot TSS out of my 12 and .410 and it's night and day difference compared to other shot. Tungsten is by far heavier than lead or steel, you can use smaller shot and still have as much energy and knockdown as a bigger load. It's pricey, but what isn't anymore? I shot the Federal TSS this last year and it performed amazing paired with my IC .665. I will be buying a box or two of Apex to see if there's much difference. All in preference like anything else I'd say.

chatterbox

Quote from: Belo83 on July 09, 2020, 11:03:15 AM
Quote from: WW on June 15, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
I tried both in my 870 and both pellet counts at 40 yards were within 8 pellets of each other. I won't shoot a turkey past 40ish yards because that's not turkey hunting to me... If I can't call him in to 40 and under, he will live to be hunted another day. The tss is denser and allows you to use a 20 gauge to kill them the same distance as a 12 gauge and that is the selling point. To me, NO it's not worth it. I still carry my 12 gauge and love it, even if it is a little more heavy than a 20. What's amazing is how many people killed them at 40 plus for many years now think they have to have it just because it kills turkeys so far out. It's not about the pattern for everyone, for some, it's a crutch.

I appreciate this response. The general response I'm seeing here is that they're great for a 20 and while not bad it's not significantly better in a 12 to justify the cost increase. I have no desire to buy a new gun until my kids get older. But I also have never shied away from expensive bullets. I spend so much time and money getting ready for the shot, the arrow and bullet is not something i'm going to skimp on in any hunting situation.
If you shoot a 12, TSS is absolutely unnecessary.
Plenty of great lead loads, as well as Hevi-13.
When I was shooting a 12, I shot Hevi-13 3-2-7, and got about 220 in the 10 at 40 with a truglo SSX in my 835.
I got out of the 12 game before the longbeard shells came on the market.
I would look no further than #5, or 6 longbeard for the 12. 40 yards and under, it's devastating.
Had a buddy roll 2 longbeards this spring with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

X2, the Long beards are the best bang for the buck. They really hold a tight pattern, have strong velocities and are readily available. Certain chokes produce such tight patterns, close shots require perfect aiming. Taking nothing away from TSS performance, it just gets expensive and sometimes is harder to get. It does give the sub-gauges new life due to its high level of performance.  Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

redleg06

I hunt with 20 gauges almost exclusively so I go ahead and buy TSS (or have them handloaded) but with 12 gauge I'd be leaning toward the traditional hevi shot or maybe some Longbeard XR's.  I use to get really good patterns from my 12 gauges with Hevi shot Mag Blends or straight 6's.  Used handloaded TSS for a year or so and it was devastating in 12 gauge and that eventually led to me switching over to the 20 gauge with it.

Turkeytider

Quote from: redleg06 on August 29, 2020, 03:50:09 PM

I hunt with 20 gauges almost exclusively so I go ahead and buy TSS (or have them handloaded) but with 12 gauge I'd be leaning toward the traditional hevi shot or maybe some Longbeard XR's.  I use to get really good patterns from my 12 gauges with Hevi shot Mag Blends or straight 6's.  Used handloaded TSS for a year or so and it was devastating in 12 gauge and that eventually led to me switching over to the 20 gauge with it.

I shoot an 870 12 Super Mag. My primary load is Hevi-13 3" #6, but I`ve shot Longbeard XR #6 as well. Between those two, the two best 12 loads IMHO. That`s not a knock at TSS, the only way to go with 20 gauge, just not enough difference in a 12, again IMO.