turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins whatchamacallit boxes........... Talked to Marlin

Started by Yoder409, March 01, 2018, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Some discussion has been had here on OG and off as to exactly what these calls are called.

I got this pair from Marlin 15 years ago at a NWTF convention.  One is a walnut/poplar and the other is Claro/Claro.  They are 30-check Cost-style boxes with a couple major differences.  The call bases are the same width and thickness as a Cost-style short box.  However............the box itself is a bit shorter and considerably narrower than a "standard" Cost-style box.  Also.......the paddles are a good bit thinner.  And lastly, there are no paddle springs.  Kinda like a hybrid between a short bo and a paddle caller. 

They are AWESOME calls !!!  I just don't know what Marlin called them or if he even said.   I guess I need to get a phone number and just call him and ask.

Anyways........................several have aske for pics of the calls.

Walnut/poplar:

Claro/Claro:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Coop1082

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Will

3bailey3

You need to get rid of that first one before that worm eats all of the call, I would be glad to take it!

sbbow

Those are sharp !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Wow - they are awesome. Would love to hear those some time.

:fud:              :OGani:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

OK, fellers........... I have to back up and correct my OP.

I got the two boxes out to check something and the plot thickens.   I wanted to look for the lack of a spring since, according to sources close to the source, Marlin never intentionally built a short box without a spring.

The Claro box DOES have a spring.  It appears to be a finger spring than would be standard on a Cost-style box.   In 15 years of owning the call, I don't know how I missed it other than I never looked closely.   

The walnut/poplar box does NOT have a spring.   Maybe I never looked closely at the Claro call because Marlin remarked about there being no spring.   He was, obviously, talking about the poplar box.  But the spring on the poplar box was obviously not a mistake.  The screw hole is not countersunk.  Just a screw run into the end-block.

I'm going to call Mr Watkins when I get a chance.........   I'm really, really curious now.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

yelpy

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 01, 2018, 10:08:14 PM

I got the two boxes out to check something and the plot thickens.   I wanted to look for the lack of a spring since, according to sources close to the source, Marlin never intentionally built a short box without a spring.

The Claro box DOES have a spring.  It appears to be a finger spring than would be standard on a Cost-style box.   In 15 years of owning the call, I don't know how I missed it other than I never looked closely.   

The walnut/poplar box does NOT have a spring.   Maybe I never looked closely at the Claro call because Marlin remarked about there being no spring.   He was, obviously, talking about the poplar box.  But the spring on the poplar box was obviously not a mistake.  The screw hole is not countersunk.  Just a screw run into the end-block.

I'm going to call Mr Watkins when I get a chance.........   I'm really, really curious now.

You say no spring, Send it to me, its firewood, I will burn it for you. LOL!

Yoder409

Quote from: yelpy on March 01, 2018, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 01, 2018, 10:08:14 PM

You say no spring, Send it to me, its firewood, I will burn it for you. LOL!

All these wonderful, kind people offering to help a brother out.........      :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

vt35mag

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2018, 08:34:04 AM
All these wonderful, kind people offering to help a brother out.........      :icon_thumright:

Look, I would be professionally remiss as an academic researcher if I did not interject myself and offer assistance. The only acceptable path forward is to take these two box calls, and design a prospective experimental cohort study to evaluate the long term performance and effectiveness of a spring vs. no-spring Watkins calls. In my literature review I have found no similar study, so this is groundbreaking research.

Much like similar studies following long-term effects of cigarette smoking as an example, my study will also be long term, likely 30 years, where I will under strict protocol test each of these two boxes during spring and fall seasons in and out of state with the goal to determine how many turkeys can be successfully called in using a box with a spring versus a box without a spring. This is a gap in our turkey hunting body of knowledge and must be addressed and addressed immediately.

As part of my proposal I am selflessly offering to cover all costs associated with this in-field study, as well as publishing the results in the year 2048 so there is no risk on your part Yoder. You can drop these off at my front door, and I will take it from there. You of course will be given credit when I publish later this century, so that's the payoff for you and you will of course get these back late 2048.

Looking forward to getting to work in a few weeks.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Quote from: paboxcall on March 02, 2018, 08:53:16 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2018, 08:34:04 AM

Look, I would be professionally remiss as an academic researcher if I did not interject myself and offer assistance. The only acceptable path forward is to take these two box calls, and design a prospective experimental cohort study to evaluate the long term performance and effectiveness of a spring vs. no-spring Watkins calls. In my literature review I have found no similar study, so this is groundbreaking research.

Much like similar studies following long-term effects of cigarette smoking as an example, my study will also be long term, likely 30 years, where I will under strict protocol test each of these two boxes during spring and fall seasons in and out of state with the goal to determine how many turkeys can be successfully called in using a box with a spring versus a box without a spring. This is a gap in our turkey hunting body of knowledge and must be addressed and addressed immediately.

As part of my proposal I am selflessly offering to cover all costs associated with this in-field study, as well as publishing the results in the year 2048 so there is no risk on your part Yoder. You can drop these off at my front door, and I will take it from there. You of course will be given credit when I publish later this century, so that's the payoff for you and you will of course get these back late 2048.

Looking forward to getting to work in a few weeks.

Roll up yer pants, folks !!    It's too late to save your shoes.........

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Spent a good while on the phone with Marlin this evening.

Long story short, he does not recall ever building such a call without a spring (or a countersink) or any reason why he would have.  In his words............... "What you have is a very rare call".

So, there is no special name or anything for it.  Just a special call.

Annnnnnnnnnd................while we were talking, I figured it can never hurt a guy to have another Marlin call...........or two.  So I'm in the book for a matched set, shortbox and paddle caller.
PA elitist since 1979

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2018, 08:24:09 PM
Spent a good while on the phone with Marlin this evening.

Long story short, he does not recall ever building such a call without a spring (or a countersink) or any reason why he would have.  In his words............... "What you have is a very rare call".

So, there is no special name or anything for it.  Just a special call.

Annnnnnnnnnd................while we were talking, I figured it can never hurt a guy to have another Marlin call...........or two.  So I'm in the book for a matched set, shortbox and paddle caller.
Congrats...Thats even better than finding a good gripping tree....Lol...