OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bore Guide for Polishing

Started by Tom Foolery, February 11, 2011, 09:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

Here is a bore guide I made a few years back, just thought I'd repost it.  Take a fired shell, in this case a 3.5", knockout the primer and drill a 3/8" hole or a shade larger depending on the size of your cleaning rod.  Next take a 20 gauge shell and do the same thing, then insert the 20 into the 12 shell brass up and add a little epoxy to hold them together.  The 20 serves as a stop for the brush/patches.  The just hook everything up and attached it to the drill and you can polish away without worry of damage to the chamber.

PureGold

And just so I remember...

What compound are you using?

If you have a 12Ga. are you using a 12Ga. Brush?

What's wrapped around the brush?

And do you clean the barrel with something after to get the compouns out?

Thanks,

Eric

Tom Foolery

I used a green Scotch-Brite pad covered in JB bore paste and soaked in Kroil over a 20 gauge brass brush.  I polished back and forth until the newly charged 18V battery died, I had to change the pad twice I think.  After the battery died I changed to a 12 gauge brush and cotton patches and cleaned everything up with Hoppe's #9.

My barrel was rough, it looked like it was cut with a chisel.

Mag10

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 11, 2011, 09:03:18 AM
Here is a bore guide I made a few years back, just thought I'd repost it.  Take a fired shell, in this case a 3.5", knockout the primer and drill a 3/8" hole or a shade larger depending on the size of your cleaning rod.  Next take a 20 gauge shell and do the same thing, then insert the 20 into the 12 shell brass up and add a little epoxy to hold them together.  The 20 serves as a stop for the brush/patches.  The just hook everything up and attached it to the drill and you can polish away without worry of damage to the chamber.

Make Shir you use the epoxy as I didn't at the start and the 20ga.shell went down the bore with the brush and was worked  for 10 min. before I changed the pad and seen what happened.  It made the bore look like it was knurled and it took an hour just to get back to the starting point.  After 45min. more I was done and it came out great,  but boy was I sweating it.  I thought I messed up my gun.  Marty

VAHUNTER

Quote from: PureGold on February 11, 2011, 09:17:14 AM
And just so I remember...

What compound are you using?

If you have a 12Ga. are you using a 12Ga. Brush?

What's wrapped around the brush?

And do you clean the barrel with something after to get the compouns out?

Thanks,

Eric
20ga. brush for a 12ga. and a .410 or .44 for a 20ga.
Good things come to those who wait