OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 / Apex GT20 #9

Started by UpperTully, February 19, 2018, 03:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperTully

Did some testing with the Apex GT20s this morning out of my old Winchester 1300 Black Shadow.

Here's the 40 yard

91% of the load within 20'

UpperTully

Just to illustrate how well this stuff holds together in flight here is a 55 yard pattern.

89% of the load in the 20"

Pretty smoking stuff right here!

Fl strutter

Is the 55 yard target upside down or did poi rise at 55 form 40 being dead on?

UpperTully

That's right side up. I'm thinking I pulled the shot. 25 and 40 are dead on.

Fl strutter

10 4. Figured it wouldve dropped a little

UpperTully

I'm going to squeeze one more off at 75 just to get a idea on drop. I'm not expecting much, if any.

Fl strutter

I load my own. 2.5 oz 8.5s. Gonna do final pattern and sighting next weekend. This is my 870 with Indian creek 670. Got a 675 to try also.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWe9BRzNigKKKIIn2

UpperTully

I want to start loading my own after season is over. Are you shooting 2.5oz in a 3.5 shell"?

Fl strutter

Yes. I wanted to shoot bigger shot. My 8.5s are closer to 8s. I like overkill.

Deast1988

I've got 9 of these Apex shells waiting for a nice day my self.

Nitro said my order should ship this week, I got 10 1 5/8oz #9s and 10 1 5/8oz 8x9s coming to compare to apex

Pattern looks great how tight are you at 25yds?

Fl strutter

Gonna try it at 20 this weekend. I've got a scope so not worried. All loads are tight at 20. Long beards being way worse.

mightyjoeyoung

So now all of a sudden we're talking about and posting about >40 yard shots on a forum with strict rules about not doing just that?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Fl strutter

I pattern at 20 and 40 yards which is the range I prefer to kill my turkeys.

Deast1988

Paper is different then birds, no where did I read him advocating shooting at turkeys over 40yds. I have a pile of these GT20 shells. And glad and appreciative he's sharing his results. Soon as I get my guns assembled I'll be figuring out choke combos aswell. TSS is a different breed of shell, I'm trying to learn what does and doesn't work. Just glad folks are posting results with the factory stuff over the handloaded unavailable stuff. Most handloads can beat factory stuff but unavailable unless you do your own.

the Ward

Quote from: UpperTully on February 19, 2018, 05:14:10 PM
I'm going to squeeze one more off at 75 just to get a idea on drop. I'm not expecting much, if any.
You can't be serious?