OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker hand technique?

Started by IdahoMountainGobble, February 19, 2018, 05:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dejake

when I purr, I slide my hand up the striker about an inch, and pull straight lines.

RiverRoost

[/quote]Hmm never seen that. Only concern I would have is dirt and oil from my finger getting on my playing area I have conditioned. I personally grip a bit harder on the striker and do a small arch shape for purring almost like I could keep my hand still and pivot the pot under my hand for the same slight arch movement. I'm able to get a good consistent purr this way. Just have to be careful your pressured grip goes to the striker only and doesnt push the striker harder into the surface. I also try to  run my purrs on the edge of my conditioned area because they seem best on freshly conditioned surface so I don't purr where I yelp.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
[/quote]

I have to slide to pot down a little farther in my hand bc I don't have wide hands so the finger  tip  and the pads from the buckle down to the finger tip that's doing the pushing are elevated a bit off of the surface. I've not noticed any oil or dirt yet but I've just started to get the hang of it, will be wearing gloves on that hand during the hunt so we'll see how it goes

ChainReactionGC

Another good way to purr is, instead of pulling the striker towards the center (against the conditioning grooves), run it left/right (with the grain of the conditioning) or diagonally across the conditioning marks. This will take away some of the "choppy skips" from the striker trying to "jump" the uneven conditioning grooves.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

howl

We all have different abilities with our hands. We have to work out how to do what with what we have. I personally only tough the call with the fingers of the hand holding it. That might not be an option for someone else.

Sadler McGraw has some instructional videos on the youtube that are very helpful in figuring out your own way in using pot calls.

IdahoMountainGobble

I read some stuff that Sadler McGraw did in a F&S article and it was kinda confusing honestly. I will check out his YouTube channel. Guy definitely knows his stuff.