OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beginner/Entry level trumpet

Started by jblackburn, February 17, 2018, 04:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Thanks goodness I was second to get on the list for 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Terry

I have 3 and they all play virtually the same. My favorite though is my cured Osage it's just very unique looking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chris O

Thanks Terry I love Osage for about everything. I wondered if any played much different, that is good to know that they don't

Terry

Some may say they do, but I haven't seen it. I'm sure someone else will chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

Your best bet is to talk to Kenny about what you want. He's a great guy and very helpful.

mspaci

gergg

Quote from: Chris O on February 18, 2018, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: Terry on February 18, 2018, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: Chris O on February 18, 2018, 01:06:17 PM
Quote from: KPcalls on February 18, 2018, 08:25:36 AM
You should have got with me when you lived in my backyard..
Your trumpets are beautiful and I have heard nothing but great things about yours. I texted you a week or so ago to get put on your list and am looking forward to trying one of yours also
Good move. I think I'm gonna be on Kenny's list permanently.

Feel like telling me which KP call is your favorite? I take you as a guy that has had many trumpets so you know which ones are the best and I value your opinion. You can pm If you rather thanks for any input

I have 2 of Kenny's(KP) trumpets now and they are both outstanding....An African Blackwood and a Snakewood....While they both sound and run great, they do sound and run a little different....the snakewood is my favorite trumpet, period, the Blackwood is next, only because the Snakewood has a bit more natural rasp to it, slightly darker tone,  and it is nearly impossible to make a bad note on it, plays like butter. One other thing about Kenny's trumpets, they have the most natural sounding clucks/cuts ever, great pop to them, they rock...... I do have a very weird ear, I hear tiny differences in sound/tone, maybe from my days of building and tuning acoustic guitars....don't know, but I can always tell a difference between trumpets of the same builder. I am sending Kenny another blank(Ironwood) for next year, can't wait!!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Terry

I was referring to how I play them. I don't need to change anything jumping from KP to KP to KP. My draw remains consistent.

I can hear a very slight difference in sound, not enough to say so.  But I wonder if it's more in slight variances in the construction than wood choice??

Chris O

Quote from: Terry on February 18, 2018, 07:51:00 PM
I was referring to how I play them. I don't need to change anything jumping from KP to KP to KP. My draw remains consistent.

I can hear a very slight difference in sound, not enough to say so.  But I wonder if it's more in slight variances in the construction than wood choice??

I feel I sound pretty similar on all the trumpets I have so far except for 2 that have more natural rasp than some of the others I have. I think it is just the way I play them. I am still pretty new and I might be able to tell more difference by next year

gergg

Quote from: Terry on February 18, 2018, 07:51:00 PM

I agree with play-ability consistency Terry......Yeah, not sure if it is the wood or the slight variables in construction/mouthpieces/internals/etc.....
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

jblackburn

Quote from: KPcalls on February 18, 2018, 08:25:36 AM
You should have got with me when you lived in my backyard..

I'm still in Gonzales. I didn't even think about hitting you up
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Thanks for all the replies and messages!

Next question (sorry for the ignorance!)! 

When I'm looking at trumpets, what should I be looking at? Or put another way, what characteristics of trumpets make them play differently? I assume things like length, barrel diameter, but how about mouthpieces? Are they pretty standard as far as size or???

My problem is I don't know what I don't know!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

eorlando

Just call Billy Buice and be done

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Terry

Quote from: jblackburn on February 19, 2018, 05:31:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies and messages!

Next question (sorry for the ignorance!)! 

When I'm looking at trumpets, what should I be looking at? Or put another way, what characteristics of trumpets make them play differently? I assume things like length, barrel diameter, but how about mouthpieces? Are they pretty standard as far as size or???

My problem is I don't know what I don't know!
Any reputable trumpet maker's standard trumpet will work

Terry

Jblackburn, I sent you a PM

KentuckyHeadhunter

Once you acquire a few trumpets you will soon find that the mouthpiece and internals matter way more than the wood type.  If you adjust your lipstop properly this makes a huge difference as well.  Just two more cents.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion