OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?

Started by raven105, February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatcher

Well said yelpaholic.  I spoke with him about 3 weeks ago and ordered a call.  A nice gentleman who has earned the right to be treated with respect.  Scott Hatcher, Nashville, TN

southern_leo

I don't think anything here disrespects Lonnie. Actually it pretty much glorifies him and his work. It is more negative towards his grandson which is the suspected culprit of the call differences people are seeing now. I think this is a good post because regardless of the person or their legacy a consumer has the right to know if the product they are buying may not be what they expect. Especially with recent call price hikes and declining quality I appreciate people bringing up this post. Hiding a truth because of a legacy is dishonest. Honesty should come first.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

raven105

Quote from: southern_leo on February 28, 2018, 08:42:01 PM
I don't think anything here disrespects Lonnie. Actually it pretty much glorifies him and his work. It is more negative towards his grandson which is the suspected culprit of the call differences people are seeing now. I think this is a good post because regardless of the person or their legacy a consumer has the right to know if the product they are buying may not be what they expect. Especially with recent call price hikes and declining quality I appreciate people bringing up this post. Hiding a truth because of a legacy is dishonest. Honesty should come first.

100% this right here. Well said leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinman22

Couldn't pry either of Lonnie's calls I've gotten from him out of my hands. Best sounding pot calls I've ever run...

bowbird87

It's not disrespect to say if you've had a negative experience with someone. I wish I would've been given the same treatment as others on here, but I didn't. I'm sure Mr Lonnie is great man but the experience I had was nothing near what I expected.

Happy hooker

If there's a positive in this,,it's that the grandson is aware of this thread you can tell by his recent posts on the website. and knows that going forward quality is expected and demanded by people.

southern_leo

Quote from: Happy hooker on March 01, 2018, 03:47:20 PM
If there's a positive in this,,it's that the grandson is aware of this thread you can tell by his recent posts on the website. and knows that going forward quality is expected and demanded by people.
Good. I'd like to see Sneed calls continue successfully

shatcher

I got my Hot Hen from Mr. Lonnie in the mail today.  I'd post a sound bite if I knew how, but it sounds great.  I'll have it, a Sinclair crystal in maple and a Schaffer crystal in heart pine in my bag on opening morning here in TN.

KYHeadhunter02

For those that don't have Facebook... Cedar top and purple heart that they made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

raven105

Update - Received my Hot Hen and Outlaw Hen this week from Mr. Sneed. I have included pics below. Initial thoughts are, from a visual standpoint, these are rough. Glue everywhere, sound holes in the bottom are not clean, and there's no Sneed signature. No signature is my biggest disappointment. Having said that, man do they sound good! Purpleheart strikers have great sound/balance and work well with my other pots. I don't have a ton of pots, but these two will be in my vest opening morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry

That glueing looks like it does on every Sneed pot I've ever owned...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

Yes, they look like a Sneed pot minus his signature. Atleast the call is round ;)

They look pretty good IMO You will grow to like the trademark Lonnie puts on his calls like the stamp, extra glue, and turkey feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shatcher

dwcim

After reading the posts about the quality, covers and who is making Sneed pot calls, I will have to say that it is more than appalling to me to read that some of you have jumped to conclusions and assume that Mr. Lonnie Sneed Sr, is not making his calls instead of knowing the facts.  I know the facts because I live in the same town in West Virginia as Mr. Sneed and sometimes have helped him carry calls to the post office to mail to the new owners.  I have know Mr. Sneed for many, many years and I have been to Mr. Sneed's home on numerous occasions for many hours playing calls and watching a veteran callmaker and master caller play calls.  I know for a fact that Lonnie Sneed Sr. is the integral part and sole craftsman of his calls.  He spends many hours each day crafting these calls and trying to keep up with his orders.  He is a one man operation.  His grandson, Jason takes care of his facebook page because Lonnie Sr. does not have time to make calls and take orders and talk on the phone.  Lonnie Sr. tries to talk to each and everone of his customers, but it takes time away from his call building. I have watched him work at his craft cutting, drilling, sanding, glueing and so forth like a true craftsman.  As to the covers, he quit making them because it was becoming to difficult and time consuming to construct them. Also, to the questions about some of his calls that have not been signed and dated by him are still made by him.  I have some of those calls also.  So, I would like to end the post or questions about Lonnie Sneed Sr. not crafting his calls. As I said before, I know for a fact and have witnessed his callmaking with my own eyes.  Lonnie Sneed Sr. is a gentleman, craftsman and a true friend.  He makes great sounding calls and has the experience to prove that his calls work. As the old saying goes, "The proof is in the Call".

Bowguy

Quote from: dwcim on March 12, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
After reading the posts about the quality, covers and who is making Sneed pot calls, I will have to say that it is more than appalling to me to read that some of you have jumped to conclusions and assume that Mr. Lonnie Sneed Sr, is not making his calls instead of knowing the facts.  I know the facts because I live in the same town in West Virginia as Mr. Sneed and sometimes have helped him carry calls to the post office to mail to the new owners.  I have know Mr. Sneed for many, many years and I have been to Mr. Sneed's home on numerous occasions for many hours playing calls and watching a veteran callmaker and master caller play calls.  I know for a fact that Lonnie Sneed Sr. is the integral part and sole craftsman of his calls.  He spends many hours each day crafting these calls and trying to keep up with his orders.  He is a one man operation.  His grandson, Jason takes care of his facebook page because Lonnie Sr. does not have time to make calls and take orders and talk on the phone.  Lonnie Sr. tries to talk to each and everone of his customers, but it takes time away from his call building. I have watched him work at his craft cutting, drilling, sanding, glueing and so forth like a true craftsman.  As to the covers, he quit making them because it was becoming to difficult and time consuming to construct them. Also, to the questions about some of his calls that have not been signed and dated by him are still made by him.  I have some of those calls also.  So, I would like to end the post or questions about Lonnie Sneed Sr. not crafting his calls. As I said before, I know for a fact and have witnessed his callmaking with my own eyes.  Lonnie Sneed Sr. is a gentleman, craftsman and a true friend.  He makes great sounding calls and has the experience to prove that his calls work. As the old saying goes, "The proof is in the Call".
I don't believe anyone was questioning the man but there were some issues. That was the intent of the poster. To find out. Some guys like the calls even w the workmanship. You can see the pics. Just look.
Maybe his grandson if he isn't the issue could be a control guy to help w these. I'd stick up for a friend too so props to ya for doing so.