OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?

Started by raven105, February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblue4016

Hey so what is the consensus now with his calls? I was literally about to give him a call today and place an order but now I don't know if I should as thee are so many good call makers now, if his quality of a call is down should I try elsewhere?

drenalinld

Would be interesting to see How Lonnie Sr makes his pots. They are obviously sides glued to a bottom. Definitely not turned on a lathe. Certainly never had the clean lines of turned pots. The cool part for me was how much like a turkey they sounded with the look of a vintage call when they were brand new. Some old school ways of building for sure. A little surprised to hear he wasn't willing to fix or replace the call from unsatisfied customer. Hate his grandson seems to be making it about the money. If you want a uniform, crisp clean striker and pot his calls probably are not for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtJaxAbOqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFlnF5Dnhrc

Sorry some have had bad experiences.

Goblue4016

So I am just going to go ahead and order one why not! But which Lonnie Sneed call is your favorite? I'm relatively new to turkey hunting but read a lot about him so I'm not sure which one I should go with to order.

DBRANNON

Order one. They still sound great. Outlaw hen or hot hen.
Patience, grasshopper.

johnski

I have a hot hen I got a couple of years ago and a heart breaker I got last year.  I think both sound good but if I was going with one personally I would go with the hot hen

Turkz39

The only thing I can say about a sneed pot call is,  Don't judge a book by its cover!  Because at first glance you are gonna think what have I bought.  But when you get it in the woods your gonna be glad you did.  i don't always use the stiker that came with the call,  I have found that yellow heart strikers work great on them.

sbbow

Quote from: drenalinld on February 27, 2018, 08:35:54 AM
Would be interesting to see How Lonnie Sr makes his pots. They are obviously sides glued to a bottom. Definitely not turned on a lathe. Certainly never had the clean lines of turned pots. The cool part for me was how much like a turkey they sounded with the look of a vintage call when they were brand new. Some old school ways of building for sure. A little surprised to hear he wasn't willing to fix or replace the call from unsatisfied customer. Hate his grandson seems to be making it about the money. If you want a uniform, crisp clean striker and pot his calls probably are not for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtJaxAbOqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFlnF5Dnhrc

Sorry some have had bad experiences.

This^^^! Lonnie's calls were never about appearance but about sound. To me he is a legend an pioneer of our sport. We are the the lucky ones since he is willing to make calls an share his experience with everyone.  As long as Lonnie comes first what difference does it make who makes the calls. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Quote from: Goblue4016 on February 27, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
So I am just going to go ahead and order one why not! But which Lonnie Sneed call is your favorite? I'm relatively new to turkey hunting but read a lot about him so I'm not sure which one I should go with to order.
order both! :funnyturkey:

llauber79

Love my hot hen! You won't be disappointed no matter what you do.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: llauber79 on February 28, 2018, 10:08:32 AM
Love my hot hen! You won't be disappointed no matter what you do.

Depending on if Lonnie makes it or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bowbird87

I ordered a hot hen slate and a tree call last year and the convo was very short. I was told it $75 shipped and I said I would pay when they were ready. Here we are 11 months later and I haven't heard anything. I didnt say anything at the time because he seems like a nice guy, but I'm kinda glad I never heard back at this point.

mspaci

I had both the glass & slate, nothing special, just a glass & slate. No better or worse than a lot of those type calls. There are better ones out there for less money IMO. They are a $40 call.  Mike

southern_leo

Quote from: mspaci on February 28, 2018, 12:50:35 PM
I had both the glass & slate, nothing special, just a glass & slate. No better or worse than a lot of those type calls. There are better ones out there for less money IMO. They are a $40 call.  Mike
Unfortunately pregrandson days like 2 years ago I think he still sold them for ~$35. Seems like they are going up monthly now. I was on the verge of buying until I heard quality complainants and the price going up so high

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

This is an interesting read and it is a shame if anyone got less than a great experience with Lonnie. I talked with Lonnie in 2015, and after an hour plus conversation I ordered 2 sets of Hot Hen / Outlaw Hen for me and my son. Lonnie personalized the calls for us. He sold me the calls for $30 each or $40 if I wanted the cover.

Lonnie went on to tell me how he had recently lost his wife... and she was the one that usually did the covers.

When Lonnie found out I lived in Maryland, he asked if I had ever been to Annapolis? He went on to tell me his sister Joetta and her husband John own & operate a Bed & Breakfast there (http://theannapolitan.com/). He told me Joetta kept a supply of his calls on hand just in case any guests were interested. I stopped in to visit Joetta, and she was a lovely lady. She brought out a metal briefcase and opened it up showing me some of Lonnie's calls. I bought two more sets for a couple of buddies.

All calls sound fantastic. I won't ever sell them. Hopefully this "situation" gets worked out?

*Lonnie only did check / via snail-mail then

yelpaholic

Mr. Lonnie has spent a lifetime hunting and making turkey killing calls, The outlaw hen i got from him years ago still gets used every spring. It just sounds like a horny ole hen.  its unfortunate that this post was necessary but nothing ever stays the same , i expect that with the social media explosion an internet forums, more people  have heard about his calls than he ever dreamed of.  And with his age and number of orders...........well nothing ever stays the same..Just dont let this tarnish the reputation of a fine callmaker and a finer Gentleman..