Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?

Started by raven105, February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

That's a bad business practice.. 45 last year, 55 a few weeks ago and now 60..... Next week 65?

I wouldn't pay his current prices IMO. There's a lot of other great calls around that price and in nicer woods.

Seems like call prices keep getting higher and higher in general.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chbarnha

I find that odd as well I paid 55 for an outlaw hen and 15 for a tree talker three weeks ago.... what... or who is raising the prices???

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

coyote1

I ordered mine 2 years ago, so it has been a while. The calls i received gave me no reason to complain. I believe they were $40- $45 then. I would expect a small increase but not $60. I think there was something going on with the inconsistency in price. Hopefully it is all worked out now.

Surgical grade

interesting. I think I paid $35 just a few years ago. Alas, most call prices are going up now it seems.

DBRANNON

I received a hot hen, raspy boss hen, and an outlaw hen this week. These are my first calls from Lonnie so I can't vouch for past quality. But, these calls are a little rough visually, not the best, but not terrible either. With that being said they sound pretty dang good. I don't really care how a call looks, if I can interact efficiently with the birds. Also, none of these calls have Lonnie's handwriting on them, for example, "handcrafted by Lonnie Sneed Sr."
Patience, grasshopper.

perrytrails

I bought a lot of Lonnie's calls in the past 5 years. I always ordered 2 at a time and sent him a check for $100.

Worth every cent. I understand maybe his grandson is taking over. I'm sure Lonnie is thrilled that his grandson is doing it.

Maybe with time he will get as good as Lonnie. I'm sure Lonnie is proud of him.

As far as cost goes that's up to the individual...if you want one, pay the man.

Bowguy

Quote from: DBRANNON on February 15, 2018, 11:17:20 AM
I received a hot hen, raspy boss hen, and an outlaw hen this week. These are my first calls from Lonnie so I can't vouch for past quality. But, these calls are a little rough visually, not the best, but not terrible either. With that being said they sound pretty dang good. I don't really care how a call looks, if I can interact efficiently with the birds. Also, none of these calls have Lonnie's handwriting on them, for example, "handcrafted by Lonnie Sneed Sr."
This is only me. If the calls are rough but sound is what's important are they better in your opinion than other makers? At 60 bucks lots of makers, say Halloran makes a really nice clean call. He has one that won the DD Adams award for 65.. You think they're comparable?? It should actually be better if the fit/finish is "a little rough visually".
Where have you seen one that was rougher since they're "not terrible"?
I'm not inferring anything, only asking.
Now if Lonnie didn't sign and make it it'd not be a history piece either I'd not think??
Just inquiring. Please do not take me wrong here it's only a discussion piece

DBRANNON

What a call looks like and what a call sounds like is up to the person who runs it or purchases it. Are Lonnie's calls better than say a Halloran call? Man, that's up to the person playing it. I have an old Halloran aluminum that's done it's job a lot more than my Clint Corder pot that's yet to have a notch to it. It's all subjective and whether you plan to use that call as a hunting tool or a mantle piece.

My previous post was to state the condition of which I received some Lonnie Sneed calls, as that's the title and question of this topic. I think the calls I received were made by his grandson, and yeah they could use a little work visually, but he's still learning and it's great that he is.  They still sound awesome. Will I use them this spring? I think they will definitely make a trip or two, potentially more.
Patience, grasshopper.

aclawrence

I just received my calls today. A hot hen and an outlaw.  I wasn't expecting them to be perfect and they're not lol.  The construction is not that great. There are a few gaps between the bottom and side walls of the pots and the call surface sticks up a little above the sides. I also  thought the grandson told me the pots are made out of cedar. I know they've been posting lots of pics on their Facebook and they're are all cedar pots. Neither of mine are cedar and I think one is actually oak. I'm surprised if it is really oak since that's not a wood species I would consider to be a great tone wood.  I'm sure the bells are the strikers are oak. And I didn't get the covers he told me would come with the calls. I'll be honest I'm a little disappointed but I did also get a sweet Yingling copper in the mail today. Woohooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: DBRANNON on February 15, 2018, 05:05:01 PM
What a call looks like and what a call sounds like is up to the person who runs it or purchases it. Are Lonnie's calls better than say a Halloran call? Man, that's up to the person playing it. I have an old Halloran aluminum that's done it's job a lot more than my Clint Corder pot that's yet to have a notch to it. It's all subjective and whether you plan to use that call as a hunting tool or a mantle piece.

My previous post was to state the condition of which I received some Lonnie Sneed calls, as that's the title and question of this topic. I think the calls I received were made by his grandson, and yeah they could use a little work visually, but he's still learning and it's great that he is.  They still sound awesome. Will I use them this spring? I think they will definitely make a trip or two, potentially more.
Hope you don't think I was putting you on the spot. I wasn't.
If someone is learning a craft and not even close to perfecting it do you think they should drastically raise the price??
The op asked if the quality is the same. Are they in every way or what are the shortcomings?

DBRANNON

Nah, man I didn't think that. Raising prices is up to the callmaker, and the buyer to decide if it's worth their money. But if the demand is there and people are willing to pay it, more power to them. But the product should be what the customer expects as well. I wanted a Sneed for the sound and I am satisfied. The craft of the calls aren't world class but the sound is there. I'm content with that.
Patience, grasshopper.

Bowguy

Quote from: DBRANNON on February 15, 2018, 06:39:12 PM
Nah, man I didn't think that. Raising prices is up to the callmaker, and the buyer to decide if it's worth their money. But if the demand is there and people are willing to pay it, more power to them. But the product should be what the customer expects as well. I wanted a Sneed for the sound and I am satisfied. The craft of the calls aren't world class but the sound is there. I'm content with that.
If you are satisfied with what you got for what you paid than that's a fair trade.

DBRANNON

Oh yeah! I probably could have used a better way or wording it, but I like my calls.
Patience, grasshopper.

DoubleTrouble1

All I've been hearing is how good his calls are and how affordable...I've listened to many sound clips and figured WTH I'll go ahead and get all three so I text his grandson and he tells me the calls are 60 bucks plus 10-12 dollars shipping? I heard 20-30-40 shipping included but 72 bucks?? I was going to call Lonnie today until his grandson text me that lastnite

KYHeadhunter02

I seen on his Facebook Lonny is making one piece diamondwood strikers if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk