OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3.5 Extinction????

Started by 1iagobblergetter, January 30, 2018, 05:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Anyone else think maybe 3.5 inch might become a thing of the past once people become more educated on what some of these new shells can do and evolve even more over time? Or will there be enough people that don't care about recoil,like overkill,(nothing wrong with it/ just my opinion i use to like it also)and a bunch that simply won't pay the price,but will keep shooting 3.5 in lead and maybe Htl if its easily available...Only curious. In time I've gravitated from 3.5 12g to 3in 12g to thinking more 3in 20g especially after seeing the way my Sons 20g patterned.

Happy

Nope. If the 3" tss will kill at 80 then the 3.5" will kill at 95. Not saying it's true as I have no idea and don't care to find out but that logic will follow. Way more people are interested in killing turkeys and not hunting them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BottomLand54

Y'all can shoot all the 3.5s you want..... I ain't that big a boy to endure hurting my neck and shoulder due to the recoil. It is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

I quit shooting 3 1/2's a 6-7 yrs ago. My gun shoots better patterns with 3's.

fallhnt

Newest shotguns I own. Don't know what a 3.5 looks like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bbcoach

What we have to realize, 3.5's weren't developed for turkey hunting.  They are were developed to give us enough capacity to shoot ducks, geese and swans with the dreaded steel shot.  It has evolved into turkey hunting but with Hevi-13 and TSS, we don't have to shoot 3.5's, it's our choice.  Will 3.5's become extinct?  Not in the near future IMO.  Waterfowl hunters have 3.5 Hevi shells at their disposable at a decent price but very few will spend $10 a shell to shoot TSS.  With turkey hunting and TSS, I can see hunters putting pressure on TSS manufactures to give them more options in the 12 guage 2 3/4 and 3 inch shell range.   IMO, anyone that shoots .410 or 20 guage, will definitely benefit from TSS but with 12 gauges it's over the top overkill.

outdoors

My  12 ga. Shoots patterns better with 3's.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

cutt down

If they made a 4" shell there are people that would shoot it. There is a perception that bigger is better and/or will shoot farther but educated hunters know better.

Gobble!

Until I can't handle the recoil of a 3.5" shell I'll continue to throw 2.5oz of shot at turkeys. Bigger is better for me.

dirt road ninja

3.5 inch isn't going anywhere.

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2eagles

I gave away all of my 3 1/2 shells - turkey and waterfowl. I just use the bead on my barrel for turkeys so I don't take long shots anyway. Shoot a 3" load of 6s to  kill them as far as I can hit them. Tried 3" HeviX for ducks and geese last year and that will probably be my load from now on. That stuff really works!

Fullfan

I have 3  an 835, 11-87 and a Super X-2. none have been hunted since I started loading and shooting TSS from my 20 ya. 
Don't gobble at me...

Tomcat655

x2 on the post about if they made a 4" mag....it would make a ruccus

Spitten and drummen

hate to say it , but my 20ga shooting #9 tss will do any and everything a 12 ga 3-1/2" will do with factory loads in a lighter and less kicking package.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE