turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight TSS #9

Started by blee, February 18, 2018, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blee

Anyone tried these yet? Shooting a SA-08 20 wondering what chokes would yield best results and if my SSX would be too tight

UPDATE: got some in and shot out of my SSX, 259 & 269 @ 40 yards. Good enough for me

LRD

The TSS supposedly don't have to be choked as much as regular lead and more forgiven in terms of not being picky on the chokes required.  They are expensive so hopefully you will get some more advice on your particular gun.

blee

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnus

Blee . . .  is that a 30" circle?

blee

10"

BandedSpur

Noting the large voids in your patterns, I would say that you are overchoked. Some of the tightest 20 ga patterns you will see come from IC .555s, but those hot cores are not the best hunting patterns IMO. You need not spend a ton of money for a TSS choke. Carlson's in .675-.680 often give very good even patterns.

owlhoot

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 25, 2018, 08:28:53 AM
Noting the large voids in your patterns, I would say that you are overchoked. Some of the tightest 20 ga patterns you will see come from IC .555s, but those hot cores are not the best hunting patterns IMO. You need not spend a ton of money for a TSS choke. Carlson's in .675-.680 often give very good even patterns.
Ah a choke of .675-680 is just a bit open for a 20 gauge ,  :morning:
Lol  I did the same thing on 2 3/4" loads thread last night , had to go modify that  :-\
Agree on the voids in the pattern and would have to work on that .

Teduardo

I'm about to pattern Federal TSS 3" 1.5 oz #9 reduced recoil. I did not want the reduced recoil, but I ordered them from Rogers and I SWEAR it didn't say anything about reduced recoil. They're still moving at 1000 FPS and they're for my daughter who won't shoot past 35-40. So if they pattern good I'll let her keep shooting them until she's a little more experienced at shooting turkeys. I'll post my pics later this evening.

Turkeyfever

I wouldnt worry about them being reduced recoil as 1000 fps is moving! I shot the same load Thursday out of my Sa20 and my tri star raptor, It is impressive stuff! They will serve your daughter well!

davisd9

Quote from: Teduardo on February 25, 2018, 12:18:01 PM
I'm about to pattern Federal TSS 3" 1.5 oz #9 reduced recoil. I did not want the reduced recoil, but I ordered them from Rogers and I SWEAR it didn't say anything about reduced recoil. They're still moving at 1000 FPS and they're for my daughter who won't shoot past 35-40. So if they pattern good I'll let her keep shooting them until she's a little more experienced at shooting turkeys. I'll post my pics later this evening.

They will more than get the job done at 40 plus fudge

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Teduardo

Teduardo

Quote from: Turkeyfever on February 25, 2018, 02:05:00 PM
I wouldnt worry about them being reduced recoil as 1000 fps is moving! I shot the same load Thursday out of my Sa20 and my tri star raptor, It is impressive stuff! They will serve your daughter well!
That is encouraging to hear. Thanks for the info.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Teduardo on February 25, 2018, 12:18:01 PM

I loaded some 1-7/8 ounce #9 tss pushing a little over 1050 fps. I will bet money that its a sur nuff turkey stomper.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ol Yelper

Hey guys, if your in NY don't bother with the #9s. Nothing smaller then 8s up here behind the iron curtain.

ahfox16

Ditto for Maine.  9 TSS is illegal.  Size 7 is the biggest allowed and that is only allowed in Blended shells.  Also, no .410 allowed.