turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

here is my wood source...........

Started by pappy, April 16, 2011, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

I use a tremndous amount of drift wood, as it is plentifull around here, this is my son inlaw...Scot, helping me out of our favorite spot with a small piece. It is a root wad from an elm tree....the call below is made from it.

sorry about the bad pic, but my batteries died right after this pic and it is the only one I have as the call is gone to a new home. The top striker is made from driftwood also, it is honey locust, the bottom one is zebrawood. The pot caller is black anodized 3 - 1/4" over slate, dual purpose.

This is where the driftwood came from it is a roadway leading to our hunting spot, unfortunately, it is flooded right now, so we seeks higher ground, but have a ball collecting driftwood...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

cleanslate

not seeing any pics pappy, only little red x's.

TarheelTurk

Nice & Unique Source Pappy! No shortage there for sure.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

lightsoutcalls

You'd have a time down here near my house.  I live about 1/2 mile from the Arkansas River where there is a hydro-electric generator and a lock and dam system.  Every so often the driftwood gets backed up against the wall of the hydro-electric plant and they fish it all out with a crane.  I have seen them pile up as many as 6-8 semi dump-bed loads of the stuff to dry... then they burn it.  I seldom have time to go pick through it, but have found osage, ash, elm, maple...   I remember one log of maple about 18" or better across, probably 20 feet long before the first limb- it had obvious curl that could be seen from the outside (bark was stripped off) and was still quite solid.  I never took the time to go back with the chainsaw...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

smurf

Jack you been holdin out on me.  I thought you couldn't find any driftwood.   Can I borrow that driftwood hauler Scott for some wood too?  LOL
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

pappy

hahahahaha...sure he rents out cheap a bag of peanuts and an RC Cola...
tel...573-380-8206

gobblerhunter

Pappy,

That looks like a place down by Point Pleasant chute.  I was duck hunting with some friends from Portageville, river was up and the cut through the woods was filled with drift wood.  Brings back some great memories.

Bill

TarheelTurk

BTW pappy ya got me wanting to walk around the lake by my house, i seen a decent piece of cedar (didnt know that it would work since it had been in the water and old>>>>inexperience in thi is ahh...) may go back and look to see if the lake didnt come up enough w/ the storms/tornadoes here this past weekend.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

stone road turkey calls

where and how do you cut up that drift wood into useable material
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

smurf

Quote from: TarheelTurk on April 20, 2011, 03:22:00 PM
BTW pappy ya got me wanting to walk around the lake by my house, i seen a decent piece of cedar (didnt know that it would work since it had been in the water and old>>>>inexperience in thi is ahh...) may go back and look to see if the lake didnt come up enough w/ the storms/tornadoes here this past weekend.

some of the best cedar we've gotten was river drift wood.  It always seems to have extra beauty to it. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

pappy

I cut it all myself, or with the big pieces with my son inlaw's help. I dry it out in my shop naturally so it takes a long time, but it is well worth it.....I suggest anyone to go out and find some, also the larger pieces (3' - 5' ) could bring you big bucks at a taxidermist shop...or a sweet mount trade...pappy
tel...573-380-8206

mountman62

you right Pappy, them taxidermist will trade a mount for just about anything, works out good for both ends
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]