turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage/Stevens 555

Started by wvmntnhick, February 03, 2018, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Anyone using one or have experience with one? Guy offered a trade today that I'm pondering. Fully understand they're not a $1000 o/u. Biggest question is, are they serviceable. Some reviews discuss both barrels firing at once. Others talk about going thousands of rounds without an issue. Anyone have any input in either direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

A mossburg silver 20 o/u I HAD did the both barrel fireing at once,cleaned it up good and started again.
Notice I said HAD !
Would find one that didn't  have that tendacy.

Izzyjoe

I was on the quest for a all purpose stack barrel shotgun a year ago, I looked at, and handled just about every one I could get my hands on. I was really leaning towards the CZ drake, cause it's a plain and simple hunting shotgun. But I looked high and low, and found a bargain on gunbroker. I picked up a Browning citori for $850 with five chokes, there's bargains out there, you just have to be patient and wait. Something will pop up. Now from the reading I did, and speaking to the salesman at dicks the 555  has gotten a bad rap, he said that only a few of the ones he's sold have been known to double fire, and for the money you're almost to a good CZ. Also I had an older gunsmith tell me that eventually all of the them will double fire, when dirty enough. Just from what I have found is that spend a little extra, and get one that will last. But if all you want is a cheap shotgun, you can always find those!

Roost 1

Haven't had any problems with my 555. I've only shot a couple boxes thru it but plan on turkey hunting with it this spring.

owlhoot

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 04, 2018, 08:49:12 AM
Haven't had any problems with my 555. I've only shot a couple boxes thru it but plan on turkey hunting with it this spring.
Hopefully it will do good for you.
No grooves worn from the firing pins scraping the breech area when opening and closing the action?
Remedial gunsmith showing me that. Not 100% sure it was a 555 though?

I remember a guy who intentionally pulled both triggers on a 16 gauge sxs .Only way he could get a decent pattern!  Goofy fella.