OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public land pressure

Started by jakesdad, January 15, 2018, 08:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I hunt only public land mostly in Louisiana and Mississippi.I also try to hunt a few other states every season. Like everything else hunting pressure is relative. Ive hunted public WMAs in other states were every local complained about lack of birds and to many people compared to La these places were turkey hunting paradise with lots of gobblers and few people. Ones  opinion on what is pressured and what isn't is based on what the norm is in your area. In case you want to get a base line to judge by come to Louisiana and deal with scattered remnants of a turkey population and thousands of wannabes with turkey fans wired to there guns looking for a field to fan in lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Phillipshunt on January 27, 2018, 10:54:18 AM
I hunt only public land mostly in Louisiana and Mississippi.I also try to hunt a few other states every season. Like everything else hunting pressure is relative. Ive hunted public WMAs in other states were every local complained about lack of birds and to many people compared to La these places were turkey hunting paradise with lots of gobblers and few people. Ones  opinion on what is pressured and what isn't is based on what the norm is in your area. In case you want to get a base line to judge by come to Louisiana and deal with scattered remnants of a turkey population and thousands of wannabes with turkey fans wired to there guns looking for a field to fan in lol.
Them wannabes must have been friends or cousins to some of the wannabes I seen in a WMA in florida the last time I was down there. Some times I almost feel like I should have on a blaze orange vest when walking around, like they did from the car to the blind. But when they got to there blind they didn't take there vest off. It wasn't hard to pin point where they were, I could see them through the trees at 80 yards, and hear them because they never stopped calling. Didnt go back to that area anymore, Just add that story, along with the Idoit story of the guy that shot my decoy.

Grey Owl

I live on the Tennessee & North Carolina line. On the Tennessee side we have the Cherokee NF & on the North Carolina side we have the Pisgah NF. If you don't mind walking the mountains you'll have more room to yourself than you can imagine. Most men stay on the farms below.

quavers59

I live in New York and am only 20 miles from New Jersey. Last Spring, I bought a few Turkey permits over the counter at 21 bucks each. Worth it believe me! And of course my out of State hunting license costs 135 bucks. Again-- no problem.  There was a line in the Tackle shop where I was and when I got to the front of the line and gave my preferred zone and time periods-- the guy says very loudly-- You Are A Non- Resident!! I was kind of taken aback and just said-- that's right. There were about 4 other  turkey hunters behind me in the line. For a few moments-- I did not think I would get my tags!! He was loud and the owner heard him as he was walking nearby.  I have not seen this bald headed guy since last Spring at that Tackle Shop.

turkaholic

We have a camp in NY. My brothers and I hunt together every year. We hunt public land and have come up with a few tricks. When we get competition from "outsiders" we park a truck at a spot as a decoy. Gives you a chance to save a spot if you get bumped. Seems a bit slimy but it works. After the first week it gets less pressure and is manageable. We are working with a depleted stock in NY and it gets harder every year to hear gobbling, like it used to be.
live to hunt hunt to live