OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I could use some help

Started by monty690, January 27, 2018, 09:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty690

I have a very strong gag reflex and can't use a mouth call because of it. I've tried small frame calls, just keeping it in my mouth to get used to it and placing it differently and it doesn't help. I'd really like to be able to use one so if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

southern_leo

It may just not be an option for you if it's that bad.  I don't have a strong gag reflex but I do have one. When I first started messing with diaphrams and learned the right spot it was far enough back it felt weird. So when I was at work I'd just leave one in my mouth and mess with it continually. I did this for many hours several days for a week or two and got used to it. Maybe try something similar but start the diaphragm forward one day then each day work it a little more back and really focus on relaxing your throat. Don't even worry about making sounds yet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I'm not a mouth call person myself, i do carry couple but seldom do i use them. I feel about the same way you do with it in my mouth like i fixing to get choked or accidentally swallow the mouth call. I've learned thru the years, you don't really need a mouth call to kill a turkey. So i just rely on my pot calls and box calls. Now something that is not talked about much on this forum is a good push call, i have a old Quaker boy easy yelper that's a great friction call that i will use a lot of the time over a mouth call.. I'm sure a lot of people don't even carry a push call, but it's something that's easy to use and makes a pretty good sound for those turkeys closing the distance out in the 40 yard range... also don't over look a good tube call over a mouth call either. Cuz from Primos swears tube call is his number one call, so you may want to invest in a good tube call.

LaLongbeard

X2 what Greg said I have no problem using a mouth call and have killed some gobblers with them. In my opinion mouth call users come in 2 types 1.those that practice continually until proficient and keep practicing to stay that way these guys can make any turkey sound and kill a lot of gobblers 2. Everybody else most don't think about a turkey or turkey call until a month or so until season starts and there calling sounds exactly like someone that practices two weeks a year. I've killed far more gobblers with a slate ,tube or box call. Get a good slate glass aluminum whatever and practice, the learning time will be a fraction of the mouth call and you can make the same calls sound just as good and the turkeys will never know the difference
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

idgobble

Greg and Phillipshunt are giving good advice.  I haven't used a mouth call since 1975.  I prefer the "traditional calls" boxes, pot, scratchbox, trumpet, tube, wingbone and I've never had a problem calling in turkeys. I've ended up with a small collection of them and enjoy getting them out and thinking about some of the turkeys I've called with them. This season I'm going to be using one I haven't used in 30 years.  Got it out recently and was surprised how great it sounds.  I guess I forgot what a good call it is when I was trying some new ones. I don't know if it's possible to call in a bird now with a 45 yr. old mouth call but I bring in birds every year with "traditional" calls that old.  Sometimes I think I never should have bought another call after my first Lynch 50 years ago that is better now than it was when it was new. All that sitting by the furnace for 25 years sure mellowed it out.  My father learned to call turkeys in the '40s from an old guy who never used anything but a blade of grass between his lips. You wouldn't gag on that and think of all the $ you'll save!  :)

BottomLand54

I hunt with 2 men who are not on the forum or any forum, one of them is a 1 sider box call running turkey slaying hunter, never uses a friction call he just runs this old 1 sider that has his oil stained in it.

I hunt with another guy who is flat out good with any call.

Now this is what I want to say last year we were working some birds late in the season some
Old birds and I took this guy who is good I mean real good he's a natural with anything, and it was the mouth call that got it done. I can't run one that good.... but what I noticed no matter how good you can run a box, or a pot, or a teller, or a tube, or a push call, that mouth call will make a sound that none other makes that sometimes is what moves that 4.5 year old to you.

Does that mean you have to learn a mouth call? NO you do what you like. I like pots and boxes..... it's what I like and it's what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern_leo

I only have advice pertaining to a mouth call since that's what the OP asked about. But I will agree with these other guys that's mouth calls aren't my favorite. I usually throw one in during the season to keep technique up but I have found pot calls are by far my favorite

dejake

when you sense your gag reflex starting....swallow.  that will get rid of it.  Just make sure you don't swallow the call, lol.

southern_leo

Quote from: dejake on January 27, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
when you sense your gag reflex starting....swallow.  that will get rid of it.  Just make sure you don't swallow the call, lol.
Hey maybe he will really talk turkey then lol

monty690

Thanks guys, I go through this every year. I like and use pots and box calls anyway. I just like the limited movement of a mouth call when he starts getting close. Heck, I'm probably over thinking it. Before he gets close he already knows what tree you're under and which leaf you're sitting on. I feel like if he hangs up (in fairly open woods) it's because he don't SEE what he's looking for, not because he don't HEAR it. I know there's a lot of variables but I mean if he's fired up and been working his way in. Thanks guys for calming me down............for another year anyway. ????
I whould like to know more about the blade of grass between the lips though.

dayna105

First time I met my wife's Grandfather (we was dating at the time). He was sitting in his front yard using grass to make a turkey call. He passed before we were married that year so I never had the chance too hunt with him.

BottomLand54

A grass yelper just make sure the cow didn't poop on the grass because the grass is greener on the other side of the fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Check the fit of your call. Make sure it's not too big - which forces the call further back and into that gag reflex area. The call / tape should fit between your teeth against the roof of your mouth - using your tongue to seal & control airflow across the reeds.

Try a smaller frame or smaller taped call and keep it forward of that gag reflex area. Keep a call in your vehicle starting now. Drive to / from work with the call in your mouth.

TauntoHawk

They are convenient but not necessary just take what you are comfortable with. 

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>