turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Vs 935

Started by Bigeclipse, January 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

I've been looking to get a new turkey gun. I've decided my budget fits either a mossberg 835 or 935. At the stores around me I have found a camo 835 with 24in barrel for 395$ and a 935 for 495$. Is literally the only difference between these is pump versus semi? Will they tend to pattern similarly? Which do you prefer for turkey hunting? I always like to try and save money but if there is a reason to spend the extra 100$ please let me know! Thanks!

bbcoach

I have the 835.  I have killed many birds with it.  Patterns Great with most loads and chokes.  Great dedicated turkey gun IMO.  I hear from the guys on this site, the 935 is a shooter also.  935 may reduce some recoil due to the gas operation but it has the same overbored barrel and plenty of chokes to choose from also.  IMO Mossberg makes a Quality dedicated turkey gun and it won't break the bank.     

Double B

835 is hard to beat, save the money.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Followed by buzzards

Bowguy

Good advice. I have an 835 too, saw no need for a 935 ever except as bbcoach said, recoil reduction

knightrider

Whichever you decide get the pistol grip, your face will appreciate it :OGturkeyhead

Bigeclipse

Quote from: knightrider on January 15, 2018, 08:55:14 PM
Whichever you decide get the pistol grip, your face will appreciate it :OGturkeyhead

According to Mossberg's website the 835 does not come with a pistol group on any model. Why does a pistol grip save your face? Only ever shot shotguns with regular grip. Never used a 3.5inch shell but have used many 3in magnum loads and slug loads with no issues.

davisd9

The 935 will kick no less than the 835.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: knightrider on January 15, 2018, 08:55:14 PM
Certain states do not allow pistol grips on any semis including shotguns. If you plan to travel w the gun be aware so you don't break some stupid states gun laws.
Not sure exactly how a pistol grip would affect felt recoil in your face though. Imo other variables are way more important. Not to discount the above posters experience

bbcoach

You will get some cheek slap from the 835 and 3 1/2" inchers but a Beartooth Comb Raising kit will take care of that.  Neoprene cover with different thicknesses of foam will cushion the blow.  With 3" you won't notice much cheek slap.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: davisd9 on January 16, 2018, 10:25:54 AM

Incorrect.   I have owned both.  The 935 will ALWAYS recoil less than the same weight 835.  Period.  Argue with physics as I know you want to but you are wrong. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

davisd9

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 18, 2018, 07:25:38 PM

Incorrect.   I have owned both.  The 935 will ALWAYS recoil less than the same weight 835.  Period.  Argue with physics as I know you want to but you are wrong.

No need to be a douche. Both kick hard and there is not a large noticeable difference. You are right that if you sit down and scientifically count it out the 935 may have a little less of force in recoil but your shoulder will not see a significant difference, you are not the only one to ever shoot both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2018, 05:54:45 PM
You will get some cheek slap from the 835 and 3 1/2" inchers but a Beartooth Comb Raising kit will take care of that.  Neoprene cover with different thicknesses of foam will cushion the blow.  With 3" you won't notice much cheek slap.

This, though not entirely correct.  The cheek slap comes from the stock geometry.  Drop at the heel creates cheek slap and for some reason Mossys are more steep than most.  Yes a cheek pad/comb raising kit will help but a stock shim adjustment kit will help more.  Combine the two along with a good recoil pad and recoil willmtame right down.  My current 835 (I've owned and sold 7 others) wears a tnumbhole stock that really reduces the drop at the heel.  Makes the recoil come almost straight to the rear. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: davisd9 on January 18, 2018, 07:27:57 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 18, 2018, 07:25:38 PM

No need to be a douche. Both kick hard and there is not a large noticeable difference. You are right that if you sit down and scientifically count it out the 935 may have a little less of force in recoil but your shoulder will not see a significant difference, you are not the only one to ever shoot both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't being a douche there buddy so how bout you ratchet down.   Don't get your panties in a wad.  You made a totally incorrect statement though so if you need me to be a douche and explain why you're wrong I'd be happy to. 

FloppinTom

There is no forearm rattle with the 935!
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Bowguy

Never seen a forearm rattle on an 835 either. That's one gun that almost everyone I know has and not one has forearm rattle. No one I know has a brand new one either, prob all more than 10 years old. Mine is from around 1990.  The 500 now that's a rattle gun!!