OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Vs 935

Started by Bigeclipse, January 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloppinTom

Bowguy you must get yours from a different manufacturing plant than where we get ours from around here.???? I don't think I ever had or saw one that didn't rattle. That being said I haven't handled any of the new ones made the last 4-5 years. It's been an issue for years. Don't take my word for it just Google "835 forearm rattle"
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=45425.0
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: FloppinTom on January 19, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Bowguy you must get yours from a different manufacturing plant than where we get ours from around here.???? I don't think I ever had or saw one that didn't rattle. That being said I haven't handled any of the new ones made the last 4-5 years. It's been an issue for years. Don't take my word for it just Google "835 forearm rattle"
I just handeled one for the first time at walmart and there was no rattle at all while the Remington 870 did have a rattle. Maybe I should have picket up that 835. It was the turkey model for 395$

davisd9

Never had turkey care a bit about forearm rattle.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: FloppinTom on January 19, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Tom, I told ya mine and my buddy's are older. There's zero forearm rattle. If it's a problem it's been more recent. Think I bought mine around 1990 or somewhere around there.
My brothers and buddies have em prob closer to 2000, they don't rattle either. There's certainly a timeframe available for problems but at anywhere I've seen them they never rattled. Not one.

mightyjoeyoung

I've owned 7 835s since 1989 and sold more than 200.  The first models (every single gun made with ONE action bar-corncob foregrip or not) rattled like crazy.  The newer models (manufactured 1994 and later), with dual action bars and standard barrel ports had almost no rattle. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

wvmntnhick

Mine rattles like an old Ford truck on a washboard road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigeclipse

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 23, 2018, 09:43:07 PM

how old is yours?

Again, to date...I have only held one 835 (a couple weeks ago) and I shook it around in the store...no rattle. I could wiggle the forearm side to side with my front hand...but it did not rattle.

WNCTracker

Quote from: FloppinTom on January 19, 2018, 05:52:52 PM
There is no forearm rattle with the 935!
This was my first thought. I really disliked that rattle. I bought mine new in 2013

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: WNCTracker on January 24, 2018, 09:36:09 PM
This was my first thought. I really disliked that rattle. I bought mine new in 2013

STILL sitting wondering when you guys are going to notice he said 935, NOT 835?...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

WNCTracker

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 25, 2018, 11:54:35 PM
Quote from: WNCTracker on January 24, 2018, 09:36:09 PM

STILL sitting wondering when you guys are going to notice he said 935, NOT 835?...
OP asked 835 vs 935. FloppinTom said no rattle with with 935 implying that he'd choose the 935 because the 835 rattles. Now you can Wonder no longer....

cjr1

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM
I've been looking to get a new turkey gun. I've decided my budget fits either a mossberg 835 or 935. At the stores around me I have found a camo 835 with 24in barrel for 395$ and a 935 for 495$. Is literally the only difference between these is pump versus semi? Will they tend to pattern similarly? Which do you prefer for turkey hunting? I always like to try and save money but if there is a reason to spend the extra 100$ please let me know! Thanks!

I've got both guns. My 835 is a year one tank and started as my waterfowl gun for many, many years. Went straight Turkey gun in 2000. The 935 is my loaner waterfowl gun for when I take customers, etc out to hunt. It has a 28" barrel and the 835 has both a 28" and 22".

Both guns pattern great. Not a dimes difference in them. I've killed several birds with the 935. But, always go back to the 835 due to the pistol grip stock and shorter barrel. You would be happy with either gun, really depends on if you want a semi auto or pump. Recoil is a little less on the 935, but I never notice when I looking at a bird.

All that being said, I am looking at buying an 870 SPS for a change of pace. Even if I get a new gun, I'll have a hard time not hunting with the 835.

dirt road ninja

I've got both and can't tell the difference in recoil between the two. Both kick and both suck to work up load and choke combos. Now they both shoot well, the 835 has a 24" tube and the 935 sports a 26", there is 0 difference in performance. They both kill and are tough to beat for the money.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 24, 2018, 11:33:29 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 23, 2018, 09:43:07 PM

how old is yours?

Again, to date...I have only held one 835 (a couple weeks ago) and I shook it around in the store...no rattle. I could wiggle the forearm side to side with my front hand...but it did not rattle.
No clue the age honestly. It's an older NWTF model with their rattle can style camo. Has the round forearm, not the newer square model. It makes some noise but the turkeys don't seem to care much.

Izzyjoe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 23, 2018, 09:35:32 PM
I've owned 7 835s since 1989 and sold more than 200.  The first models (every single gun made with ONE action bar-corncob foregrip or not) rattled like crazy.  The newer models (manufactured 1994 and later), with dual action bars and standard barrel ports had almost no rattle.
A friend of a friend bought one in the late 80's, when we were in high school, and remember his having twin action bars. I've never seen one with single bars. I know the early 500's had single action bar, but they changed that back in the 70's.

Cane Cutter

Later models of the 835 have really improved through the years

Bringin tha boom to ya room!