OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

1-4x20mm or 2-7x33 which woud be the better choice?

Started by dayna105, January 13, 2018, 04:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayna105

I have a 1300 12ga that I'm looking to change scopes on.  Also looking for a Weatherby SA-459 with no luck in a 20ga.  May have to settle on the Mossberg SA20 or TriStar 20ga.  So at this time not sure which gun the scope will be for.           

All opinions are welcome.

Fl strutter

I went with a 1x4x20 due to it being lighter and is plenty for a turkey gun.

BottomLand54

There was a nice like New sa-459 extra green 20 gauge on armslist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I went with this, mostly because of reticle. 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Turkey Scope, it is setup as a ranging reticle. I have had it on my 11-87 for better than 20 years without fail.

I call it the "Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL

BottomLand54

Mk m gobl I like that scope. I have been running red dots but have considered scopes especially on my next 20 gauge build.

dayna105

Thanks for the information Fl strutter . I know this is different than picking one up for big game.

BottomLand54 the one I seen was from OK. Of course the add said will not ship. I'm in N.C. Thanks for the heads up.

dayna105

MK M GOBL

The 2 Leupold's that I'm looking at has the same style of circle crosshair.

Fl strutter

I got the leupold 1x4-20 with turkey plex reticle like the one above. It's awesome. Put his neck in circle and squeeze. Game over.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: dayna105 on January 13, 2018, 06:10:07 PM
MK M GOBL

The 2 Leupold's that I'm looking at has the same style of circle crosshair.

Just looked it up, wish Leupold was making that scope back when I built my turkey gun I would have gone with that. I like mine but do keep it at low power, easier to get on bird when there in close.

MK M GOBL

BottomLand54

I was looking at the leupold earlier. I am an leupold man but have all ff3 on my turkey guns they seem to be easy for kids to use. They like the little red dot and as long as its on the neck book bang drop no flop. With a scope I suppose cheek placement and form is needed to be more accurate. I do like the idea of magnification in a scope can kind of see spurs and beard a bit better in thicker situations. I would hate to have a scope on my sbeii I would have to wear an eye patch between Turkey season and deer season.

dayna105

I have a hunting buddy that you cannot get him to hunt with wool gloves anymore. He had to break his nose with the scope from his 300RUM. First shot to his left, second to the right with maybe 3 seconds apart. When I got there from my stand his face mask was covered in blood. Honestly I tried not laughing. Than he told me what he did, we still laugh about it to this day. Oh, he had black eyes for over a week.

I'v been nicked 1 time by my scopes in the past 35 years. It's something you learn from the first mistake not to try again  :TooFunny:

dayna105

Thanks for all the advise. Have the 1-4x20mm on the way.

BottomLand54

Quote from: dayna105 on January 14, 2018, 08:05:13 AM
What did you end up ordering a leupold? Let us know how you like it? What ring and base are you using?

Fl strutter

dayna105

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 14, 2018, 08:21:05 AM
Quote from: dayna105 on January 14, 2018, 08:05:13 AM
What did you end up ordering a leupold? Let us know how you like it? What ring and base are you using?

Went with the leupold, just hope it is as good as the one on my 270. It's been on it since 1977 and that has been my go to rifle. It out shoots me. Still looking for a sa-459 20ga to put it on. If not able to find one before season, it will be on the 1300 12ga. Rings and bases will be leupold. All my rifles has leupold bases and rings except the 22's and pellet rifle.