OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is it that you want to see?

Started by Cove, January 08, 2018, 11:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

Quote from: Cove on January 08, 2018, 05:03:46 PM
Thanks for the input fellas! Keep it coming!  :toothy9:

Personally, I enjoy the video you have up of your buddy missing, and then conveying that in his younger days he would've wailed that Benelli down through the woods, because I've felt that way myself.

I like watching hunting videos that I can relate to doing. Public land. Small leases. Hunts with your best buddy or your Old Man. I'll never be able to afford to hunt on a ranch or big buck farm and that's fine, but I also don't enjoy watching that kind of hunt. I kinda like the misery that comes with less opportunity.

3bailey3

Absolutely no music and someone has it right the first few Primos were great!

Cove

Quote from: warrent423 on January 08, 2018, 10:21:40 PM
I'd like to see a good Big Cypress WMA Gobbler called to the gun and killed on camera. Cypress, slash pine, cabbage, and live oak trees are a must, along with lots of sawgrass.

That's a tall order! I have carried the camera down there several times but with those conditions it's easy to talk myself into leaving in the truck. :toothy9:

Thanks again for the input guys! I align with most of whats already been shared.

Quote from: Gobble! on January 08, 2018, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: Cove on January 08, 2018, 05:03:46 PM
Thanks for the input fellas! Keep it coming!  :toothy9:

Do you have a YouTube page?

Just search Dave Owens turkey hunting. Hoping to get it up and moving again soon.

Meadow Valley Man

I learned a lot watching Denny Gulvas videos where he didn't even shoot the gobbler.

GobbleNut

First of all, Dave, I very much enjoy your videos.  Yours are some of the best out there as far as I am concerned.

Having been doing this for so long and having watched so many turkey hunting videos over the years, I am more interested in the circumstances and the tactics used based on those circumstances than I suspect most folks are. I want there to be some educational value to the video rather than just a turkey shoot.  I like to evaluate the tactics I would use in a given situation compared to the hunter and hunt I am watching.  Without some introductory information, a turkey hunt is just another turkey hunt like the hundreds of others available to watch.

First, "the circumstances":  Where is the hunt taking place?....not specifically, but generally.  Is it on private land or public?  What subspecies?... and is the turkey population there high or low?...and how hard are the birds there hunted?  What time of the season are you hunting?...and how much pressure has been put on the birds to that point?  Are you going in "blind" on the hunt?....that is going to an area that you are not familiar with or have not been directed to with "insider" information?  What contacts and/or tactics prior to the actual hunt have been used to find birds to hunt?

"Prefacing the Hunt":  First, explain how you found the particular bird you are hunting.  Secondly, a quick discussion about the anticipated set-up and calling tactics based on "the circumstances". 

"The Hunt":  Include some "transition footage" between starting point and bird with shots of the terrain/vegetation type.  Perhaps a little info along the way with an explanation as to where the set-up will be, how close to the bird,...and why on both.  Obviously, good footage of the hunt, the bird, and the shot,...as much as possible. 

After the Shot:  First of all, no "hysterics" from the hunters.  Yes, measured excitement is good, but proper respect for the bird is paramount.  No repeated slow-motion shots of the damage done to the bird.  Again, treat the bird with respect.  A review of the excitement of the hunt by the hunters and with the gobbler is great.  Take time to "prepare" the bird.  Get the feathers in place and get rid of the blood. For me personally, showing beard and spur length is good.  I like to see/hear that information,... others may not care.

The Absolute "Don'ts" (for me, anyway)
In any hunt I watch, at the very first hint of a pop-up blind, feeder, or someone sitting at a food plot, I am out. 
Don't show and discuss the damage done to the bird.  Showing a gobblers head decapitated by a broadhead or completely "jellied" by the latest, greatest "gun and load" combo is distasteful and, again in my opinion, disrespects the bird.

Finally, always remember that these videos reflect on hunters and the way of life that we cherish.  Ask yourself, if an objective non-hunter saw this video, would they be offended by something in it?  If so, either modify it or explain it, but don't just say "to heck with them".  Always be aware of the fact that the 75% of the general public that has no strong feelings one way or the other about hunting, but whose attitudes will ultimately determine the future of hunting in this country, are perfectly capable of being swayed against us. 

guesswho

Please don't hire Gobblenut as your producer.  I fell asleep just trying to get through his reply.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cove

Quote from: guesswho on January 09, 2018, 05:25:02 PM
Please don't hire Gobblenut as your producer.  I fell asleep just trying to get through his reply.

I thinking you've got to have money to hire someone.  :z-dizzy:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Chris O

I enjoy a few cooking segments after the hunt. I always enjoyed Jim Zumbo and Ted Nugents cooking segments on their shows

1iagobblergetter

Not for all the gimmick new fad turkey hunting junk they are promoting or the ones with all the music...Like watching the early morning hunts with all the sounds of the morning and gobblers sounding off all over on the limb. I also like seeing or hearing a wide range of calls used and how the gobbler responds..Less commercialized would be good...

Dr Juice

I miss the Turkey Thugs show. A bunch of common guys who broke each others balls on occasion while enjoying the thrill of the turkey hunt. They seemed to gel well.

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on January 09, 2018, 05:25:02 PM
:TooFunny: I wrote it because I knew you needed a good nap,....YaGoob!  :toothy12:

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 09, 2018, 02:04:37 PM
First of all, Dave, I very much enjoy your videos.  Yours are some of the best out there as far as I am concerned.

Having been doing this for so long and having watched so many turkey hunting videos over the years, I am more interested in the circumstances and the tactics used based on those circumstances than I suspect most folks are. I want there to be some educational value to the video rather than just a turkey shoot.  I like to evaluate the tactics I would use in a given situation compared to the hunter and hunt I am watching.  Without some introductory information, a turkey hunt is just another turkey hunt like the hundreds of others available to watch.

First, "the circumstances":  Where is the hunt taking place?....not specifically, but generally.  Is it on private land or public?  What subspecies?... and is the turkey population there high or low?...and how hard are the birds there hunted?  What time of the season are you hunting?...and how much pressure has been put on the birds to that point?  Are you going in "blind" on the hunt?....that is going to an area that you are not familiar with or have not been directed to with "insider" information?  What contacts and/or tactics prior to the actual hunt have been used to find birds to hunt?

"Prefacing the Hunt":  First, explain how you found the particular bird you are hunting.  Secondly, a quick discussion about the anticipated set-up and calling tactics based on "the circumstances". 

"The Hunt":  Include some "transition footage" between starting point and bird with shots of the terrain/vegetation type.  Perhaps a little info along the way with an explanation as to where the set-up will be, how close to the bird,...and why on both.  Obviously, good footage of the hunt, the bird, and the shot,...as much as possible. 

After the Shot:  First of all, no "hysterics" from the hunters.  Yes, measured excitement is good, but proper respect for the bird is paramount.  No repeated slow-motion shots of the damage done to the bird.  Again, treat the bird with respect.  A review of the excitement of the hunt by the hunters and with the gobbler is great.  Take time to "prepare" the bird.  Get the feathers in place and get rid of the blood. For me personally, showing beard and spur length is good.  I like to see/hear that information,... others may not care.

The Absolute "Don'ts" (for me, anyway)
In any hunt I watch, at the very first hint of a pop-up blind, feeder, or someone sitting at a food plot, I am out. 
Don't show and discuss the damage done to the bird.  Showing a gobblers head decapitated by a broadhead or completely "jellied" by the latest, greatest "gun and load" combo is distasteful and, again in my opinion, disrespects the bird.

Finally, always remember that these videos reflect on hunters and the way of life that we cherish.  Ask yourself, if an objective non-hunter saw this video, would they be offended by something in it?  If so, either modify it or explain it, but don't just say "to heck with them".  Always be aware of the fact that the 75% of the general public that has no strong feelings one way or the other about hunting, but whose attitudes will ultimately determine the future of hunting in this country, are perfectly capable of being swayed against us.
Long and good post.. i just think you left out about age of hunters and health problems limiting them to hunt plots and out of blinds and lets not forget our disabled Veterans who like to hunt...lets not be selfish in our way of thinking how some people have to hunt these birds...  NOW i need nap....

GobbleNut

Good point, Greg.  I did not contemplate that particular item as well as I should have.  There are certainly exceptions, as you point out, to my general statement about that. ...Besides, I really didn't figure most of the guys on OG would make it that far through my post before nodding off.   ;D

Cut N Run

I also enjoy seeing other native wildlife going about its daily routine during the turkey hunt.  I've had so many close interactions with non-game animals that I never would have experienced if I hadn't been turkey hunting.  There's so much more to turkey hunting that just killing the bird.

I really enjoy your videos Dave. I've passed them on to many new hunters to give them an idea of how the hunt should be done.  Keep on like you're doing and thanks for taking the time & effort to create quality turkey hunt videos.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.