OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shell Recommendation for Old Gun

Started by wislnwings, February 03, 2018, 10:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wislnwings

I've decided to chase turkeys with one of my older shotguns this season (when I'm not bowhunting them).  I've got an old Ithaca SxS in 12ga 2 3/4" choked full and full/modified.  I've also got a Stevens 520 in 12ga 2 3/4" that belonged to my grandfather.  It's choked full.  Can ya'll give me some recommendations on where to start with shells for these two?

mightyjoeyoung

Might want to look at the Kent bismuth double gun loads. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

dirt road ninja

I'd think you'd be ok with Winchester hi brass 5's or 6's.

Izzyjoe

Honestly, you are gona have to try a variety of loads, and pick the best one. Get some large pieces of paper, or cardboard and pattern it. But I'm gona bet the pattern runs out at 30yds, full choke don't always pattern full choke. But I have seen a few that did a little bit better than full, but not much. 70% of the load in a 30" at 40yds is what you are after. Anything better and you are golden!

taylorjones20

Some have posted good results using the Winchester Rooster loads in 2-3/4"
Alive only by the Grace Of God

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Izzyjoe on February 03, 2018, 05:10:31 PM
Honestly, you are gona have to try a variety of loads, and pick the best one. Get some large pieces of paper, or cardboard and pattern it. But I'm gona bet the pattern runs out at 30yds, full choke don't always pattern full choke. But I have seen a few that did a little bit better than full, but not much. 70% of the load in a 30" at 40yds is what you are after. Anything better and you are golden!

Thinking he's.more concerned about safety than how to pattern his gun.  Some old shotguns do t digest today's  modern, hot loads and the barrel steel won't handle very hard shot...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

wislnwings

Thanks for the replys.  Safety is definitely what I am more concerned with.  I'm very familiar with how to pattern the guns.  I haven't kept up with all the new shells on the market so I wasn't sure what's safe in these guns.  I thought about shooting the same bismuth loads I've shot for ducks.  They pattern well in both and flatten ducks in one shot out to 40 yards.  I also considered just shooting high brass 5's or 6's if they pattern well.

cjr1

I've got a Winchester Model 12 in a 16 gauge that I always try to get a bird with every year. My granddad bought a 12, 16, and 20 gauge when he got out of the military after WW2.

I've tried the Classic Doubles and a bunch more loads. Best one I've found is the Remington XLR #6.

coyote1

Rst makes shells specifically for old guns.

I have an old 16ga with 2.5" chamber and got a case for $110. They pattern really good too.